Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #1

Share |

Sheetrock vs alternatives

What sort of questions do you ask yourself or steps do you take when deciding to put up sheetrock vs plaster,etc?

We have a room that is about 1,000 sq ft(so a pretty big room). The walls in general are okay, no big holes or anything like that. But there are literally hundreds of nail holes!

So I am thinking what is the best way, most cost effective way, to take care of them. cost is primary factor. time, quality, etc are important but cost is #1.

Thanks in advance!

actually I also thought about just hiring a drywall company, I heard the labor is relatively cheap because they do it so much faster than I could

peequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #2

Depends what you think is cheap. I really don't want to touch any job for under $400, but really I am too busy and don't want any side work anyways. A good tradesman is worth $40/hr, but you can expect at least $100 minimum per trip.

I would NEVER choose plaster over drywall. I have no idea why plaster is still in use.

dberladyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #3

I guess what I meant by cheap is, it is probably better for us to pay a professional vs doing it ourselves, taking up valuable time that could be used towards actually running the business. It seems like something like this is usually best to just fork up the bucks.
peequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberladyn View Post

I would NEVER choose plaster over drywall. I have no idea why plaster is still in use.
because it looks a lot nicer that sheetrock and mudded joints. If you use rock lath, it is a much sturdier installation as well.

and you don't have to paint it.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote