Sheetrock Over Homasote? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Rewards Points: 10

Sheetrock over Homasote?

Hi all,
I just installed a jetted bath tub in my bathroom. In the process of installing it I had to cut out a large portion of the wall in the living room to get mortar under the tub.
Last night as someone was using the tub, I was sitting in the living room and noticed how loud the pump was for the tub (I haven't replaced the drywall in the living room yet so obviously it would have been quieter with drywall installed).
The Sheetrock on the wall is 2 sheets thick (must be from previous owners), so I was thinking about screwing a sheet of Homasote up for additional sound barrier and then adding the 1/2 drywall on top of that, this will give me the finish thickness that I need. (I was originally planning on just cutting spacers out of scrap drywall to fur out studs a 1/2 inch).

Does anyone see any problems with this plan? The rest of the wall obviously doesn't have Homasote, is there any problems with screwing drywall to Homasote? Will the Homasote shift over time and mess up drywall seams? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JonCiccarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Drywall and Painting Pro
Rewards Points: 824

Re: Sheetrock over Homasote?

I don't see a problem with doing that.
Actually, I think it's a great idea. Go for it!

-Paul Twitter Facebook Linked in Google+ Youtube
Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote