Sheetrock Confusion - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
AWF

Rewards Points: 10

Sheetrock confusion

The sheetrock on our bathroom ceiling is different than on the bathroom walls. It doesnt seem to have a paper face but is not fiberglass. The attic side is kind of like textured plastic with raised strands. What is it? It says usg on the attic side

Advertisement

AWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Sheetrock confusion

That's a new one on me---how old is it? Any numbers or other identifying marks?

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 322

Sheetrock confusion

AWF, Can you snap a photo of it?

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
AWF

Sheetrock confusion

Date says 8/2002 CEILING SURFACE IS GRAYISH COLOR AND NOT TYPICAL CARDBOARD. HARDER ALMOST LIKE DURAROCK BUT IT IS NOT. ALSO SIZE OF SHEET IS 8 FEET WIDE, 10 FEET LONG WHICH ALSO IS NOT TYPICAL

Last edited by AWF; 03-29-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,038

Sheetrock confusion

There's got to be a joint somewhere. You couldn't get an 8'x10' sheet in the room, let alone hang it. As far as what it's made of, 'ya got me....
Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
AWF

Sheetrock confusion

The sheet is exactly what i said it was. You had nothing to contribute why reply.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Sheetrock confusion

It is actually the incorrect product for the ceiling. what the OP is talking about, is U.S. Gypsum's Backerboard most likely, which is only to be used for wall tile, or floor tile. http://www.usg.com/flooring/backerboard.html The only thing close with a Gray Acrylic and fiberglass face on the other side, is Georgia Pacific's Denshield, which I used when I laid the tile for my bath floor.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Sheetrock confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF View Post
The sheet is exactly what i said it was. You had nothing to contribute why reply.
I thought he was contributing. He replied as he was curious as to the size.

I've never seen 8x10 boards myself, where would one get them? how would you get them in the room?

do you have a pic of the board?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Sheetrock confusion

And it doesn't come in 8'x10' sheets! No gypsum (or backerboard) product does.That's why I replied and had something to "contribute". If you're looking from the attic side, you won't see the joint if they hung it parallel to the joists (not the common or best way) rather than across the joists. The joint won't be visible from the attic. I've been in the trade for 38 years. What are your credentials??
Best of luck.
bbo (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Sheetrock confusion

bjb, I reported them for their smart attitude, so they may not be coming back at this point. I would say leave it as a fly-by and lets move on with our lives.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

Sheetrock confusion

Thanks gregzoll, I have no issue with it. He has a right to express his opinion. I just try to help out when I can....
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Sheetrock confusion

Same here, but attitude does not get you help on a public forum, unless you are expressing that you are stressed because you messed up, and now need venting or help.

Advertisement