Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Sheet Rock Pin Holes

I fixed a hole in the wall of my spare bedroom. Came out pretty good for a novice. Only problem is I have a bunch of pin holes in some of the mud. Can I use a damp sponge to get rid of these? Can I just use a very light coat of spackle on top of the mud? I did a bunch of smaller repairs w the spackle and they came out perfect!

Thanks!!!

dschribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

Sheet Rock Pin Holes

There air bubbles.
If it was mine I would use some thinned light weight drywall compound.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Sheet Rock Pin Holes

How do I thin it??
dschribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Sheet Rock Pin Holes

you dont really need to thin it. just use whatever mud you were using to do the patch.
apply the mud over the area and wipe it all off with your knife just filling the pin holes and not adding another layer of mud.
thinning the mud just helps you to wipe the mud off easier but for one patch i wouldnt go through the hassle. now if you have a big job with a bunch of different spots you have to go over then its worth your while thinning.
just pour a little water in your mud and mix it. put enough water in so when you scoop it with your knife its just starting to slide off your knife but dont go to crazy thinning.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sheet Rock Pin Holes

...but at least know where they came from - for the next time.

They were already in the bucket of joint compound you took from, and the best way I know of of getting rid of them is thorough mixing of the mud you plan on using. Not necessarily the whole bucket, but the mud you plan on using for this particular patch.

That's why the pros use a hawk to receive the mud they're using right now; they take from the pail and put the mud on their hawk, then work it over and over again before they apply it to the wall. That gets rid of the tiny bubbles.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,276

Sheet Rock Pin Holes

so will adding a little dish soap before mixing.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote