Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Share |

Settled house & stupid previous owner

The corners in the majority of the rooms are cracking, as I looked closer I realized I could see the tape, so the previous owners did a terrible job taping (not the only terrible, stupid thing they did, if this was the biggest issue theyve caused, id be happy) so i decided I was going to fix the issue. I have only done one closet so far & figured I would strictly do closets until I got better & move onto the rooms. I've watched a pro do it a few times & watched you tube videos as well. Any advice & can you tell me how I can tell if I'm doing a good job. When I finished my first corner, I told myself that as long as my job looked better than before I was good, but I want to ensure I get better over time. Thanks.

redheadedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

Without pictures of what it looks like it's anyones guess.
It could be anything from just one layer of joint compound, (it takes at least three layers) never sanded before painting, building is still settling ECT.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #3

Building is still settling but were looking for contractor to pour a foundation as of right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Settled house & stupid previous owner-image-3798840810.jpg   Settled house & stupid previous owner-image-185832467.jpg  
redheadedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
DIY staff

A couple of ideas.

Use the correct mud---you want 'Multi Purpose' green lid --to set the tape--use paper--Mulitpurpose contains glue--

Use paper tape---add mud to the wall---fold and install the paper---press most of the mud from under the paper as you install---then let that dry before moving on to the top coats.

Use 'light weight' Blue lid--for the top coats---it is softer and much easier to sand.

Until your skills improve---do only one side at a time---or you will end up with a blade cut in the first wet side--and need to do it over anyway.

The powdered 'easy sand' is used to fill gaps and cracks before taping---often used for the first coat after the tape is imbedded in the green mud--

Powdered mix is very hard to sand---