Settle Argument - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 288

Settle Argument

Even though we are not at the sheet rock stage definately need some advice and help in settleing this arguement.

We plan to hang the sheet rock in our new house ourselves. We have friends who have done it numerous times and offered their help, so no concerns there.

The arguement is to whether have the pro's come in and do the mudding, taping and sanding or do it ourselves?

I would rather have the pro's do that part because they do it for a living and can get it done faster.
Husband wants to do and says he would use his orbital sander to do it.

Thoughts?
comments?
Suggestions?

Advertisement

logluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Settle Argument

Every time I get to the point of mudding I say "I'm not paying someone to do it, it's not that hard" and everytime I'm in the middle of mudding I say "F*&% this S*$&, next time I'm just going to pay someone!"

It's not that it is really hard to do, but getting a nice, smooth, clean joint and transition takes finese and patience. The sander isn't really the issue, it's your patience. If you miss a spot of mess it up you can always add another coat and sand smooth, but real the question is, are you willing to?

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Settle Argument

I believe you are in the boonies---If there is a skilled taper available by all means use him.

I am a skilled taper--yet I hire the work out on larger jobs. It's a skill and a tough one to become fast and good at.

You have lots of other work to do---I vote for the pro and use your time on some other phase of the house.

You might find that the taper can hang at a reasonable rate--just a suggestion.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Settle Argument

This is a job I get a pro to do - I know my limitations (well, at least sometimes...).
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

Settle Argument

Orbital sander? Hire a pro for the finishing. In fact, have him come over and coach you in the best methods of hanging. It will cost you less in the long run. Good finishing starts with good hanging.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
DIY staff

Settle Argument

Should you decide to DIY the hanging and taping----there are lots of experienced folks here that will walk you through this.

Power sanders are available---drywall lifts ,Roto Zip cutters and other handy things you may not be aware of.---Mike---
Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #7

Settle Argument

No I do not want to do it.

I helped a carpenter hang the dry wall in our son's room after a fire and he gave me a ton of pointers. If this guy didn't give me bad vibes I would have him back to do it.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

Settle Argument

You said Orbital sander and taping I did not know they went together.I am sure after they hang the board a pro taper is not going to be happy.
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Settle Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
You said Orbital sander and taping I did not know they went together.I am sure after they hang the board a pro taper is not going to be happy.

An orbital sander should not even be in the same room
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Settle Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
An orbital sander should not even be in the same room
\

They won't be in the same room very long. Drywall dust usually destroys them pretty fast.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
DIY staff

Settle Argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by logluvr View Post
No I do not want to do it.

I helped a carpenter hang the dry wall in our son's room after a fire and he gave me a ton of pointers. If this guy didn't give me bad vibes I would have him back to do it.
You won't miss the hard work and frustration----ask around for recommendations---Your previous contractors might know a good one.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Settle Argument

I really don't see an argument here. Probabilities are high once he's experienced hanging drywall, he'll never want to touch it again.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #13

Settle Argument

That is what I have been trying to tell him.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Settle Argument

I should take pics of my bedroom. I hung the drywall and did as well as could be expected for a DIY in a room where there were framing problems.

My problem was that my wife wanted the room painted before we could move in. I only wanted the drywall hung so I could get the stack of drywall out of the living room, move us to the upstairs bedroom and move the office out of the living room.

So at the time, I was between jobs and money to hire someone to finish it was out of the question. I did it myself knowing it would be of lesser quality, but knowing that my wife would live with it and I would live with it because we have it in the 5 year plan to tear off the second floor and have a full second floor built professionally - we'll get it done right at that time.

So some things did go right, but here are the problems I had:

The rafters adjacent to the front wall of the house are around 1" higher than the rest of the rafters. We have a room that has horizontal ceiling in the middle, sloped ceilings on both sides going to knee walls. So this means that the sloped ceiling produced gaps around 1/2" at the top and bottom on both sides where it met to the front wall.

I mismeasured a hole I cut for the junction box for the smoke detector.

Because I had to utilize on-hand materials as much as possible, I mixed joint compound for some of the job. I used this when applying a 12' long piece of tape on a seam on the sloped ceiling. The problem I had was that after spreading the compound over the length, some of it had dried by the time I put on tape. I have bulging tape.

Some of my screws going into old hard wood framing did not drive far enough and ended up showing after sanding.

For the front and rear walls, I had originally planned not to re-drwall, but old painted over wallpaper proved too much trouble to scrape as in some places it came off clean, others it took some plaster, others it came off loosely and the result was I decided it would be easier to just put a layer of drywall over the old. The framing was not what I expected, so finding studs was difficult and I had extra holes, screws that didn't drive to full depth and screws that were over-driven.

I did not even want to attempt inside corners. We plan to just cover the corners with trim. I've attempted inside corners once before. I've read the theory since, and I'm sure I could do better than my first attempt, but I just didn't want to spend weeks trying to do this.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Settle Argument

Bear in mind too that no matter how much hanging you and your friends have done, it may not turn out to be what a professional finisher considers "up to standard". It may cost you more for finishing than if it were hung by professionals. Have your friends actually hung an entire house, or just a room or two?? It could take a long time to DIY compared to having it done professionally. If time isn't a concern and you're SURE your friends are competent, give it a whirl.....

Advertisement