Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Seams and nailed areas that show??

My parents have it in their 1970's house and we have it in our 1960's house. I come from an old plaster home....nice sturdy beautiful walls. THIS I am not used to. The ding marks are on the ceiling all over and it appears that the wall seams show in many of the walls. It's odd....it almost could look like an outline of an old wallpaper border in some spots but I'm thinking it's the drywall? I'm wondering if there is a way to fill in the dings on the ceiling do you think? Also, what do you think about doing some sort of "camouflaging" on some of the walls? I really love the way some of the finishes look when you swirl on some sort of joint compound. (I have no idea of the materials used for these projects so forgive me if I'm messing up)

Thanks for any tips!!

magoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoi View Post
My parents have it in their 1970's house and we have it in our 1960's house. I come from an old plaster home....nice sturdy beautiful walls. THIS I am not used to. The ding marks are on the ceiling all over and it appears that the wall seams show in many of the walls. It's odd....it almost could look like an outline of an old wallpaper border in some spots but I'm thinking it's the drywall? I'm wondering if there is a way to fill in the dings on the ceiling do you think? Also, what do you think about doing some sort of "camouflaging" on some of the walls? I really love the way some of the finishes look when you swirl on some sort of joint compound. (I have no idea of the materials used for these projects so forgive me if I'm messing up)

Thanks for any tips!!
The joints you are seeing are likely due to lack of mud, the contractor ran 1 instead of 2 coats. this can be remedied by skimming the surface, repriming & painting. Texturing walls are not advisable. Not washable hard to patch & paint. Try out my suggest e-mail me if you wish.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-15-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: removed web link from post body per rules
finishingtheunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #3

How would you advise doing that? Do you do it right over the existing paint? Thanks and sorry if this is a silly question!
magoi is offline   Reply With Quote