Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Share |

Seam over doorways won't hold

I built my house 25 years ago. I have two pocket doors in my living room and within a month each had a long vertical crack over the doorway. Someone told me this happened because instead of cutting the doorways out of a single sheet of sheetrock, the drywall guy "pieced" the area over the door. I was told the seams on either side of the top piece will never hold.

I attempted to repair these cracks numerous times. The cracked again almost immediately. Finally, in desperation, I wallpapered the room!

Now I want to paint the room and if I have to have a drywaller come out and replace the drywall around the doors, I am willing to do that.

My question is, do I have to do that, or is there another way to fix the darned seams permanently?

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions!
Cindyloo670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

If properly fixed, that should not be a problem. Sounds like there may be a problem with settling. That should be checked before another drywall repair is attempted.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Next Time...New Build

I have always seen this where the board was ended at the jams and the header was pieced in. I have never had any problem as long as the joint was in the middle of the header or the entire door covered with one sheet as you mentioned.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Tileguy

A single piece of drywall would be better I think. The bigger problem is the pocket-doors. Those assemblies can be dubious to begin with and are subject to and vulnerable to movement due to their usual flimsy construction compared to a regular hinged door hung to a standard framed structure.

As long as there is a seam in that area this could be an ongoing issue.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #5

Yes, the board was ended at the jams and the header was pieced in. I've got four pocket doors and no problem with the other two. My parents have four too, and never had a problem. I LOVE pocket doors, lol.

Whew, thank you all so much for weighing in. I've heard enough to convince me I don't want to have the crack "repaired". Maybe if I had a pro repair it (with tape this time) it would hold, but if it doesn't I'd end up having the drywall replaced later, after my room has all been completely redone. The mess would be awful.

I guess now I have the task of trying to find a competent pro that would be willing to do such a small job. God help me with THAT task!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Tileguy

(with tape this time)
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
liscenced electrician

I think he means it was originally taped and cracked and everytime he fixes the crack he just fills the crack with no tape.

I agree with others. Whenever i do drywall I never put my seams over the jams. What I prefer to do, in new construction, is center the drywall over the door way, screw it in properly and then cut out the door opening after the fact. Fastest, easiest, and best solution. With remodels it can be a little trickier, but still dint out your seem over the jams
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindyloo670 View Post
Yes, the board was ended at the jams and the header was pieced in. I've got four pocket doors and no problem with the other two. My parents have four too, and never had a problem. I LOVE pocket doors, lol.
I don't understand the pieced in part. In the original post, it was mentioned cracks started a month after the place was finished.
Are the 2 pocket doors with problems along a bearing wall... possibly under-sized header above?
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #9

I don't know if the original seam was taped, I assume it was, lol.

But when I tried to repair the cracks, I don't think I tried to use tape. It's been a lot of years since I tried to fix them (I've been wallpapering over it for the past 20 years, lol) so I can't remember.

YES, these doors are on the center load bearing wall. Do you think that has something to do with the problem? It would explain why I don't have the problem with my other two pocket doors!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
liscenced electrician

Is assume that load bearing walls have much more movement to them. Thats probablt the issue. Or your header might be too small
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #11

The header is 15" like all of my other doors. So then, do you recommend that cut the doorway out of a full sheet of drywall and put that up? Thank you ALL SO MUCH!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #12

if you are going to remove the dryawll make sure the cripples or trimmers{same thing different terminology} do not have a gap at the header. This will allow movement that causes cracks.If there is any space, fill with a tapered shim
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #13

Ok, I will definitely make sure the drywall guy does that. Thank you for the tip!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #14

One for the road........ http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...ood_shrink.htm

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #15

Geez Gary, after scanning (I couldn't actually READ it as it is too technical for me) that article, I suddenly feel very lucky that my ONLY problem has been those two big cracks!

Thanks for sharing it though. When I hire someone, I'm going to show it to him!