Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Share |

Screw pops

I just finished painting a new house for a builder I have worked with a lot. On the last day going back to touch up and leave, 20+ screws had 'popped' out of the drywall. Just like nails will do, but it was all hung with screws.

The drywall had been up and finished for 8 weeks at this point. They all happened at one time, Literally overnight. And most of them were on one wall.

Has anyone seen this before? I haven't ever seen anything like that with screws.

Pic is after they had been screwed back in before patching.
Attached Thumbnails
Screw pops-image-809303220.jpg  

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

Screw pops

It looks like someone may have leaned too hard against the wall, assuming that's a picture of a wall. Other than that your guess is as good as mine.

Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Mod

Screw pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
It looks like someone may have leaned too hard against the wall, assuming that's a picture of a wall. Other than that your guess is as good as mine.
That's sort of what I was thinking. The rock wasn't tight to the stud to begin with.

The trim guy did it.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #4

Screw pops

Anyone banging on the outside-as in siding?

I was setting fixtures in a new house recently and discovered a whole sheet beside the toilet missing the screws in the field.......
Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

Screw pops

The first pic was actually the few that were not on the main wall. Most of them were on the main load bearing wall in the house, between the living room and master suite.

Really weird, like that part of the house shifted suddenly or something.

Didn't get a good pic of the main wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Screw pops-image-1115736909.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #6

Screw pops

Only time I've seen that is after an earth quake.
50 year old house and after the earthquake every single nail popped. That long ago sheetrock had just came out and they had used 1" long nails with small heads and no ring shanks. What a mess to fix.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
registered

Screw pops

I think you should be paid extra now.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Screw pops

Just guessing but is there a chance the studs in that wall were put up wet and when they dried they twisted. Maybe take a long 6 or 8' level and see if the wall is wavy. Push on the wall in several places and see if you can detect any movement. Put a screw in right beside one that is popped and see how far in it pulls the drywall. If it's not you, it's time to get the hanger back
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #9

Screw pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
I just finished painting a new house for a builder I have worked with a lot. On the last day going back to touch up and leave, 20+ screws had 'popped' out of the drywall. Just like nails will do, but it was all hung with screws.

The drywall had been up and finished for 8 weeks at this point. They all happened at one time, Literally overnight. And most of them were on one wall.

Has anyone seen this before? I haven't ever seen anything like that with screws.

Pic is after they had been screwed back in before patching.
why is there a gap between the top of the sheetrock and the top plate?
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #10

Screw pops

Is that a 1/2 wall with cap and 1/4 round trim yet unpainted? As others have said, the drywall wasn't tight to the framing or the framing was wet. Is that wall on a concrete slab? Need more details.... did they use glue as the screw spacing appears over 16" max. Should have added new screws after removing others- too easy to break the paper face when re-screwing same with texture covering it.

Gary
Old 11-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

Screw pops

Looks like you screwed back into the original holes. Don't you want to screw in new positions?
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #12

Screw pops

Well this saga continues...

We're thinking now that the exceptionally wet weather this past summer is the culprit.

There were many rain delays during framing, so no doubt the studs were wet by the time the house got under roof.

Went back today for a second round of touch up/re paint. Much worse than last time, 100+ more screw pops all over the house.
The contractor did the patching and I'm just doing the painting.

They did just tighten the screws back in the same holes, so well see if it holds.
Attached Thumbnails
Screw pops-image-29802219.jpg   Screw pops-image-2710699844.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #13

Screw pops

One thing that jumps out at me is putting the screws back in the same hole. If the screws popped that hole should be pretty well stripped. And almost have to be thru the paper or they weren't screwed all the way in to start. J. I would suggest you check this whole building very well with a 6 or 8' level. If the framing has twisted (which I believe) these wall will be wavy and will probably really show after you get the paint on it. And if it is not completely dry and still twisting they are going to pop again. Make sure this can't fall on you.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-18-2014), Jmayspaint (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #14

Screw pops

At least they used screws, but if it were me I'd unscrew one and see how long it is.

I also don't like putting the screws back in the same hole
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #15

Screw pops

Yep, wet studs will do it; http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...erfections.htm

Check if the screws are 1-1/4" or 1-5/8", as the longer ones have more wood depth to shrink more; pp.11- look at the 1-1/2" nail shrinkage areas- the drywall moves the 1/16" and the wood shrinks (in the fastener depth) 1/16" for 1/8" total. Be sure there is no movement when pushing on the wall at screw location; using the same screw by just tightening it down is fine- the head dimple hasn't changed size (the drywall dimple is still intact)- only the screw hole has worn clean from the threads now. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...711HulsBKUaB2g

Gary

Jmayspaint (01-18-2014)