Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #1

Share |

Sanding drywall primer and a few crack repairs

Just finished priming my walls with Sherwin Williams primer. 95% of everything is good although a few fiberglass seams showed up and cracked in the hallway where there is no airflow and there are a few spots around where I dripped primer.

1) What should I do with the fiberglass cracks? I know the use of this tape is highly debatable but I did use it and I just need to repair a few seams only a few feet long. Should I just sand down the cracked seam and recoat on top or should I cut out the tape and redo the seam with paper tape?

2) Can I use 150grit drywall paper to sand the primer drips?
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

If I am understanding you correctly, the fix is to do another coat or two of joint compound over the mesh tape
You either didn't do enough coats, or sanded too far through what you did do
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, the fix is to do another coat or two of joint compound over the mesh tape
You either didn't do enough coats, or sanded too far through what you did do
Or one of the most common mistakes w/ mesh tape. You need to use a setting-type joint compound not a all purpose joint compound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Checkout some of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
Or one of the most common mistakes w/ mesh tape. You need to use a setting-type joint compound not a all purpose joint compound.
My first time I used setting-type, but this project I didn't. What are the chances of the rest of the joints cracking over time now?
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:31 AM   #5

100 %
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote