Rusting Corner Bead Throughout New Construction - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By Sir MixAlot
  • 1 Post By Gymschu

Old 11-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rusting corner bead throughout New Construction

Hi All,

We have been in our house just over a year in NC. Noticed a few months ago some spots on our corners where we had bumped had a little bit of rust. Not thinking much about it, I didn't put it on our 11mo warranty list. However, now it's becoming more apparent that nearly every piece in our house has even the tiniest bits of rust coming through. The builder has not done our 11 mo repairs yet, but says he isn't sure he can even touch those since we didn't get it on our list. He did suggest (before he checked the list) that they could sand it down' etc.. But considering so many pieces are affected, I'm not sure how well that would work or last. He mentioned one other house had it happen and they did that and hasn't heard any word that it didn't take care of the problem. I did go talk to other people who built at the same time as us if they had any issues, but they haven't noticed anything. The builder also says, it's from moisture, which we already figured that could be a reason. Then he also stated it could have been exposed to moisture while the materials were in the garage before being installed.

I know this is a DIY Chatroom, but I'm also looking for guidance to see if we might have any recourse? Obviously if the builder does not fix it, it will fall on us to do so, unless we hire a contractor. Any advice, guidance would be appreciated.

We have lived in Charlotte for 12 years before this and our TH corner beads never rusted despite the paint being chipped off and exposed.

Advertisement

chrstyb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 646

Re: Rusting corner bead throughout New Construction

Tough one. I've seen it rust in places like bathrooms where maybe a chunk of drywall got knocked off.......

If it's rusting through the paint, my thinking is that, yes, it was rusty BEFORE it was installed. A couple of ways to approach this are: One, have all the corner bead removed and replaced with new. Corners redone. Of course that may mean a complete repaint unless you would be satisfied with touch ups on the corners where the new bead will be in place. If your warranty will cover this, great.

Two, you could leave the current corner bead in place and remove as much dried paint and joint compound as possible. Sand the bead agressively to remove the rust. Prime with a rusty metal primer. Redo the corners. Prime and repaint.

My only other thought, and this may not be possible, I've never tried anything like this, but, it may be possible to just install new bead right over top of the current corners without messing with the old corner bead. Doing this may require a LOT more joint compound and feathering out pretty far onto the walls........just throwing it out there as a POSSIBILITY.

Advertisement

chrstyb72 (11-09-2016), Sir MixAlot (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,990

Can you post up some pictures? I would be worried about moisture content in the drywall/compound or some sort of other cornerbead defect that would be facilitating that.
Sir MixAlot and joecaption like this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
chrstyb72 (11-09-2016)

Old 11-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Can you post up some pictures? I would be worried about moisture content in the drywall/compound or some sort of other cornerbead defect that would be facilitating that.
Absolutely. I will try to get them tomorrow when I will have better lighting. Thank you
Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Tough one. I've seen it rust in places like bathrooms where maybe a chunk of drywall got knocked off.......

If it's rusting through the paint, my thinking is that, yes, it was rusty BEFORE it was installed. A couple of ways to approach this are: One, have all the corner bead removed and replaced with new. Corners redone. Of course that may mean a complete repaint unless you would be satisfied with touch ups on the corners where the new bead will be in place. If your warranty will cover this, great.

Two, you could leave the current corner bead in place and remove as much dried paint and joint compound as possible. Sand the bead agressively to remove the rust. Prime with a rusty metal primer. Redo the corners. Prime and repaint.

My only other thought, and this may not be possible, I've never tried anything like this, but, it may be possible to just install new bead right over top of the current corners without messing with the old corner bead. Doing this may require a LOT more joint compound and feathering out pretty far onto the walls........just throwing it out there as a POSSIBILITY.
Thank you for the response. It's in our bathroom as well, but not nearly as bad as some spots throughout the house. I'm just surprised that it's coming through in so many places in our house, even if it's super tiny. And funny thing is the builder Was adamant there was no metal bead where it was rusting in our bathroom and didn't know why it would be doing it since the used a different material. The next day I took a blade to it and scraped it and it was metal.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 890

@chrstyb72 , Find out who the supplier of the corner bead was and get them to send a rep out to have a look. That's what I would do if I was your drywall contractor or GC on your project. And I certainly wouldn't be balking if it was an obvious problem so soon after the construction was completed.

I do have other suggestions for fixing this issue. But at this point you shouldn't have to be dealing with it anyway's. IMO.
Gymschu likes this.

Last edited by Sir MixAlot; 11-09-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir MixAlot For This Useful Post:
chrstyb72 (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
@chrstyb72 , Find out who the supplier of the corner bead was and get them to send a rep out to have a look. That's what I would do if I was your drywall contractor or GC on your project. And I certainly wouldn't be balking if it was an obvious problem so soon after the construction was completed.

I do have other suggestions for fixing this issue. But at this point you shouldn't have to be dealing with it anyway's. IMO.
Thanks...great idea. I have messaged the builder to ask this!
The Following User Says Thank You to chrstyb72 For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (11-11-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #8

I have created an album with some pics of a few places where the rust is. I'm finding it just about every corner or edge, whether it be a little speck or larger section like the one in our MBR. GRRRR.... Please let me know if you cannot access the album
Old 11-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 646

After looking at the pics, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Again, hopefully your home warranty takes care of this. If it were me, I would simply sand off the rust, prime with a rusty metal primer and just touch up those corners. Since it's the corner and not the whole bead rusting, doing the touch up process will hardly be noticeable especially if you have some of the original paint left over. It looks as if there will be very little joint compound needed to fill any divots, etc. I definitely think this is fixable without tearing it all out. Of course, I am anxious to hear what SirMixalot's plan of action is.........
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,858

Almost looks like the corners were sanded and not painted right away. The edge of the metal bead ends up getting sanded to expose shiny metal. If it sat, and maybe wasn't the best bead to start with, it may have started to rust. Just like a water leak, it bleeds through the paint. I would think a light sanding to get rid of the rust, then a stain killing primer, then paint.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote