DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   Round tubes behind drywall (

oufan222 08-29-2009 09:26 PM

Round tubes behind drywall
I have a quick question. I was adding some new shelving to my garage using the Rubbermaid Fasttrack setup. To add the Fasttrack rails I needed to screw into four studs and add drywall anchors inbetween each stud. I got into the studs fine, but when I was drilling the guides for the drywall anchors I noticed a round pipe (or something similar) just past the drywall.

Basically, I punched through the drywall and stopped the drill but noticed that I hit something round. I couldn't get a good look at it through the 3/8" guide hole so I'm not sure what it is. I noticed this "pipe" at the two (almost) random heights I used to place the Fasttrack rails. I found it odd that I just happended to choose two heights that this exists (56" and 85"). It's also weird that it seems to run left-right (not up-down) and it exists on both the left and right side of the stud. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary in WA 08-29-2009 11:38 PM

If black cast iron 1-1/4" pipe, possibly your gas supply. Look outside for meter close-by. Maybe running over to go up to the upstairs fireplace? Look in the garage attic access heading over to the house.

Any plumbing nearby, possibly a vent pipe. Or main electrical service to a sub-panel.
Be safe, G

oufan222 08-30-2009 08:16 AM

No gas
My house doesn't use gas (no upstairs fire place), although it is two story. I didn't get a good look at the color of the pipes, but they looked white. There is a 1/2 bathroom and a laundry room on the back side of the garage wall in question. However, I find it hard to believe that the two (almost) randomly picked heights I picked have this "pipes" (again I'm not sure that these are pipes, the thing in question was more solid than the drywall and seemed to be pretty sturdy. I guessed it was a pipe because I could slide the drill bit over the top and under the bottom). I don't know alot about construction, but could it be some bracing inbetween the studs? They seem too high to be electrical or water pipers (one is 86" tall).

Again, I greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Blondesense 08-30-2009 10:56 AM

You might be an OU fan, but where are you?

Also, how old is the house?


skymaster 08-30-2009 12:37 PM

if you own a studfinder that also senses pipe and or electrical try to trace it, see where it leads or at least the direction it heads

oufan222 08-30-2009 05:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions
I'm from Oklahoma, but currently live in Alabama. The house is about 4 years old and I've been in it for about 1 year. I have a stud finder (that sucks). I'll try to trace it out this evening to see if that helps. Again, I'm pretty sure I didn't drill into it (I stopped as soon as I felt it). My main concern is that its something that runs through the studs because I put nearly 3" long screws into the studs.

Ron6519 09-05-2009 04:01 PM

Open the wall and look at the issue, it's just a sheetrock repair versus puncturing something you shouldn't puncture.

bjbatlanta 09-08-2009 03:04 PM

Sounds like PVC pipe if it's white. Possibly vent and/or drain lines.....

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1