Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Share |

Is this ridiculously high bid for drywall labor

Im currently working on getting bids for building a new home. We will have $3073 worth of drywall. Our first bid came in at over 7000 for labor only for hanging and finishing with us providing supplies. I just think double the cost of materials is high. Am I wrong in thinking that? Thanks in advance for any input

Tgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
DIY staff

You're thinking is way wrong---

The cost of materials has nothing whatsoever to do with labor.

Drywall hanger in my area charge $10 to $12--A sheet---tapers about the same--That's $20 to $24 a Sheet---

The Stockers are another $1. or so a sheet---Scrappers another $1.00 to $1.50

I've seen drywall sell any where from $6,50 a sheet up to over $12.00 for the same sheet---

How can labor be tied to materials? Will it cost less to install cheap drywall?---Mike---

Old 04-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #3

Thanks mike for the swift response. My total cost is based on 12.90 a sheet. I just live in rural ky so it's hard to find 3 people to get bids from so I happened across this forum and thought it'd be a great way to get some insight. Thanks again
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
DIY staff

Do some looking around----ask at the lumber yard---try to get a couple of bids--

Most important is to find a good taper with skills----Price is one thing---a professional job at a fair price is what you want.

We have several Kentucky members here,But your PM (private Message) privileges don't work until you get 15 posts.I think.

Start posting!!! Keep asking any Pro that you meet," Do you know a good drywall taper?"

Best of luck,--Mike---
Tgray (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
the Musigician

PMs start at 20 posts, not 15.

320 sheets of drywall to install? Is that all???
You should DIY and save the $$$!
You could knock that out in a good weekend!

DM
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #6

I got a bid here from a guy who does work for the company my wife works for. He came by and measured everything. He was doing mine on the side along with two other guys he works with. My project was 94 sheets. The bid was to supply everything and finish to the point it was ready for primer. They quoted 3,728.00. If my math is correct, thats 39.65 per sheet. And that gave me the nudge I needed to do my own. I don't mind hanging it, I just hate finishing. I have done maybe 5 rooms over the years and after each one I swear I will never do it again. But here I am with drywall hung and ready for joint compound.
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #7

Thanks for all the fast input. In my line of work my schedule can go from a 40 hour work week to a 70 in a blink of an eye. We still haven't broke ground yet so the drywall work is a ways out, I'm gonna use my time to try and get a few more bids and when the time comes I may decide to test myself.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
DIY staff

The guys that work on the house may know a good drywall outfit.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #9

I am a Professional Drywall Finisher, I'd be rich if I got paid $24 a sheet for finishing drywall. However, it really depends on the job... you might be in a remote area, you might have a lot of corners, high ceilings, details, etc. Also, you will be charged higher because in reality your house is only one weeks worth of work... no long term tenure there.

Anyways if your drywall is $3000 dollars and your labour is $7000, I'd say your price is in the ballpark of what's typical. By the way, the person that recomends installing the sheets yourself... it's bad advice, most "drywallers" don't even install it properly (half of them are stupid). If you want a good job you need a team of two good installers and one good finisher.

Dan
dberladyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
old guy contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberladyn View Post
install it properly (half of them are stupid).
Dan
Heads up, Dan
I would substitute Stupid with Inexperienced before you get deleted.....

But I also agree with you about a Pro vs DIY
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
DIY staff

Quote:
. By the way, the person that recomends installing the sheets yourself... it's bad advice, most "drywallers" don't even install it properly (half of them are stupid). If you want a good job you need a team of two good installers and one good finisher.

Dan

The guy was just poking some fun.

Welcome to the forum,Dan---Good to have you here.---Mike---
Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
Heads up, Dan
I would substitute Stupid with Inexperienced before you get deleted.....

But I also agree with you about a Pro vs DIY

Thanks for the headsup, but I stand by what I said. Over half the guys in the trade are STUPID. They've never invested the effort to learn their Trade/Craft and become real Tradesmen. I am a rarity, among the top finishers in my city, I get told I am the best quite often but the reality is that there is nothing special about me. I just do the job right and take pride in my work.

I suppose I am going off in a rant, it's just that nothing bothers me more than seeing hacks in the Trades.

I wish the homeowner goodluck in finding good guys,
Dan
Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
the Musigician

Quote:
By the way, the person that recommends installing the sheets yourself... it's bad advice
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.
Two reasons.... first, this is a DIY site, not a 'how much should I pay' site. Second, it's truly NOT that hard to install drywall. Even easier with a helper.
I framed and drywalled my entire home myself, walls AND 5/8" ceilings, and had very few problems. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. The work is near flawless.

DM
Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #14

No it's not hard, it's not rocket science at all. It's just boils down to common sense, and some lifting. Yes, this is a DIY site... somehow I got lured into this section.

When it comes to drywall, from a Professional Finisher's perspective I can't recommend people do it themselves. At the end of the day it is just drywall, but I've seen far too many peope ruin their homes too many times. I even see "Drywallers" ruin new homes... it's one of those things that's best left to real Professionals in my opinion.

Then mind you maybe I have higher standards than most. Where I work, they expect a piano finish, flawless... and that's the way I like to see it done.

Dan

Last edited by dberladyn; 04-24-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
the Musigician

It seems you do this for a living and I understand your desire to recommend a pro, we all need our jobs, right?
But when people sign up here, it's usually to get tips/help doing these things themselves, and we encourage this to both broaden their skills and horizons.
I'd never hung drywall, and had only patched a few holes before I signed up here.
I never ran all the plumbing in a home before either, nor had I ever wired an entire house, nor installed floor joists, nor flooring, not framed walls, etc. BUT..... with the help from the guys here, I was able to (overkill and) pass my inspections with flying colors! Long live DIYChatroom.com!

DM