Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Developer by Day

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to KevinACrider

Resurfacing Old Drywall

The wife and I are looking to repaint and refinish every room in our new home. The previous owners have wallpaper up in some rooms. After removing it I see that some seams were never mudded, screws/nails were not mudded over and so forth. What is mudded doesn't look like it was even sanded and I just basically have a crap texture all over.

Am I OK to thin down some joint compound and skim coat the walls to fix this or should I go another route?

KevinACrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Resurfacing Old Drywall

Depends on what route you're going.... smooth and paint? Texture and paint?
repaper?

DM

Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Developer by Day

Resurfacing Old Drywall

Smooth it down and paint it, if possible. Texture as a last resort. I refuse to repaper anything.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Resurfacing Old Drywall

No reason to thin the joint compound if you are going over raw seams. It will take more than one coat anyway. Also the walls must be washed to remove all of the old wallpaper adhesive before you can skim coat or paint.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Developer by Day

Resurfacing Old Drywall

I don't know how many seams are raw and how many are just mudded and not sanded but it's probably a pretty even mix. I won't know better until all the wallpaper is off.

I just want to fix all the pitting, lumps, etc and give a nice smooth wall for paint.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Resurfacing Old Drywall

First, the problem sometimes and i hope you don't have it is that the wallpaper can pull the face paper off of the sheetrock. If this happens it is a real problem and I would go over all of it with new rock where possible. But if you get the paper off and you with no problem then you need to first address all of the areas that need mud. I would clean the wall first, then you need to finish mudding the job they didn't do to even out the surface of the wall. Then if you still need to skim the wall to make it look nice, I would use finish mud with sanding after. If possible I would use finish mud to skim with. It is easier to sand. Keep apply mud and sanding until you like the smooth finish.

Do not try to save money on the primer. To thin will hurt the look of the paint. The primer seals the surface, and sets it up for the paint. If you decide to texture. You need to prime before and after texture to get the best results.
redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Resurfacing Old Drywall

You'll no doubt have areas where the face paper tears. (Or you'll be extremely lucky and I'd go buy lottery ticket). Get as much of the loose paper off as possible. Sand the entire area. Prime the surface with KILZ or ZINSSER and mud the bad areas/joints with as many coats as necessary. Then "glaze" coat the walls with some thinned compound. Sand, prime, and paint.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Resurfacing Old Drywall

If your going to mud the whole wall use a taping joint compound for the first coat as the glues in it will give you better adhesion. Go to a finishing compound after that

masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote