Resilient Channel Over Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Resilient Channel Over Drywall

I currently have 5/8" drywall on my basement ceiling.

Is installing resilient channel over this with a 2nd layer of 5/8" drywall going to significant improve my sound dampening or does sandwiching the layers like that cause problems?

I know a sandwich of plywood/resilient channel/drywall reduced the effectiveness of the resilient channel but does a drywall/channel/drywall sandwich significantly reduce effectiveness?

Also, does fixing the resilient channel to the ceiling more than every 16" (OSB under drywall) change it's behavior?

Advertisement

hellonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonoko View Post
I currently have 5/8" drywall on my basement ceiling.

Is installing resilient channel over this with a 2nd layer of 5/8" drywall going to significant improve my sound dampening or does sandwiching the layers like that cause problems?

I know a sandwich of plywood/resilient channel/drywall reduced the effectiveness of the resilient channel but does a drywall/channel/drywall sandwich significantly reduce effectiveness?

Also, does fixing the resilient channel to the ceiling more than every 16" (OSB under drywall) change it's behavior?
How much sag do you think you want to live with in the first floor floor? What's that first floor rated at for static load?

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #3

As little sag as possible I suppose.

The largest span is 14'8" and the joists are 9"x2" as in EXACTLY 9"x1.5" because, old house built in 64. Don't know what my load is but I am probably close to it. There is no sag now though even though it's a quite old house.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
As little sag as possible I suppose.

The largest span is 14'8" and the joists are 9"x2" as in EXACTLY 9"x1.5" because, old house built in 64. Don't know what my load is but I am probably close to it. There is no sag now though even though it's a quite old house.
Better take a look at some span and load tables first to see where you are. Then estimate the weight of the additional rock.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #5

With a 2x8 I can span 13'7" with a 20lbs load (current is 14.5)
With a 2x10 I can span 17'4" with a 20lbs load

With the average of those (since my joists are exactly 9) I can span 15.5

My longest span is 14'8"
Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
With a 2x8 I can span 13'7" with a 20lbs load (current is 14.5)
With a 2x10 I can span 17'4" with a 20lbs load

With the average of those (since my joists are exactly 9) I can span 15.5

My longest span is 14'8"

Okay... so what does the drywall weigh? I'm guessing it is around 2-1/2 # per square foot. You'll have to check it out.

There are plenty of builders here, wait for someone to jump in.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Better take a look at some span and load tables first to see where you are. Then estimate the weight of the additional rock.
Aw come one. We all know that the guys at avsforum. Know more about construction then actual contractors do.

Personally I hate the whole idea of trying to lower the ambient sound wave curve. Just so someone can crank their home theater system up to Megadeath concert levels.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Tileguy

What would be wrong with light-weight acoustic panels?

Or would that absorb too much sound and defeat the desire to destroy the inner-ear?
gregzoll (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
What would be wrong with light-weight acoustic panels?

Or would that absorb too much sound and defeat the desire to destroy the inner-ear?
Light-weight acoustic panels are the wrong product for sound-proofing, that's why. They're for taming acoustic reflections.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Light-weight acoustic panels are the wrong product for sound-proofing, that's why. They're for taming acoustic reflections.
So...What is the difference in "sound-dampening" as stated by the OP and "taming acoustic reflections"? I'm not understanding.
gregzoll (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
So...What is the difference in "sound-dampening" as stated by the OP and "taming acoustic reflections"? I'm not understanding.
You can research it on the AV forums, but in short, an acoustic reflection is sounds bouncing off the walls, not sounds going through the walls. Reflections can cause a home theater audio system, or studio to sound "muddy". Those lightweight panels help lower these reflections. You'll also commonly find lightweight absorption or dispersion panels in large rooms, such as conference rooms, church halls, reception halls, restaurants, theaters.

Sound-proofing/deadening uses mass to prevent sound from penetrating or radiating through a structure. Sounds deadening doesn't necessarily stop all reflections, however.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
It is the eye of the beholder. Just like some think that $1300 power cord, will improve sound quality.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Majority of the stuff posted over at Avsforum. Is like stating that Coke Cola from the South tastes different from Coke Cola from the North. Even the "Professionals", argue about who's design or idea of allowing systems to be cranked up, but the sound not to be transferred to other rooms.

There is no one perfect way of doing this. The best way to start. Is quit cranking up the Home Theater to Moterhead Concert levels.

Advertisement

Tags
drywall , resilient channel