Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #1

Share |

Resilient Channel and Fixtures

We are building my wife a dog grooming shop in my basement...my son's room is right overhead and we would like to reasonably sounproof the ceiling so the sould of blowers/dogs wouldn't be as bad. We are going to use resilient channel and roxul Safe 'n Sound.

I understand the basics of using the resilient channel on both the walls and floor but what I don't understand is how I'm supposed to do the ceiling lights and still expect it all to work properly. There will be 2 - 3 4" holes in the drywall and a electrical box fixed directly to the joist. Similarly, we would like to do the same thing to the walls just to complete the system but what about some cupboards that have to be screwed to the joists?

Thanks for any insight.
pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #2

your adding resilent channel or furring channel? lower the octagon boxes for the ceiling lights at a 2x4 if you need to
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

resilient channel.

Sorry, my question is, how is the ceiling going to still be "soundproof" if I put holes in it for lights and fasten the boxes to the joists? Is there a better way that will retain the soundproofing?
pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #4

well you are putting safe&sound insulation in the floor joists and that should be going over top of the light boxes to stop the sound. if you are still worried build a drywall box around the boxes and chaulk them. if you have duct work you'll need to move it cause the sound travels through it.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote