Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing sections of drywall

Due to a flood I had to cut 3 feet tall sections of drywall all the way around the room. I am not starting to repair work. I have cut the top part(good drywall) so its in the middle of a furring or stud.

I then put up the new drywall to butt up against that. But there are gaps in between the top and bottom sheets. I know it would be best to not have them, but its seems about impossible to do.

If there are gaps in between the sheets should I put some mud in there before I start applying tape? Some sections are like 1/4 inch of a gap.

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #2

I would squish some compound in before the tape.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

get some durabond easy sand and throw it in the gaps, let it set up then scrape smooth , then proceed as usual. no big deal on the gaps that size or even larger.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #4

1/8" and under, drying (general purpose) type mud is fine, over 1/8"= setting type mud only-----pp.10, 4.6.8.1,2; http://gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-2010.html

Gary
Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips.

Another question is that my new section probably won't match up with the old section's texture. I have a few questions regarding this.

1. attempt to match it, and if I mess up think of something else?

2. Is it possible to get rid of the old texture then just apply new texture? If so how would I go about this? Its an orange peel texture that is on there right now. To get rid of it should I skim coat over the entire wall old and new?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #6

I bet you can match it pretty close. Orange peel is easy. Get the homax orange peel spray in a can and practice a bit and you can get it. If you mess up, sand it off. I personally think skimming a whole wall to get rid of texture is tough.
Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

I might need something more than a can. I am thinking of buying the hopper spray gun since I have another room to do. The section is in a 8x10 room with the bottom half is new drywall.

I have used the can before on a small patch job. And the fumes are really strong. i had to leave the house for a while and air it out.

Last edited by jburchill; 08-03-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

If the boards were run horizontally (likely) why not take out another foot and go to the 4' height. You'll have a factory edge to butt to and won't have to cut a foot off of every replacement piece. Unless you have 9' or 10' ceilings, it's unlikely the board was stood up....
Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #9

boards were vertical. so I cut them to the nearest stud and then put new stuff up.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #10

If you buy a hopper practice more, it puts a lot out and you can overdo it quick. Just spray the whole wall and everything will blend together.

Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote