Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Repairing walls???????

HELP.....

Ok here my story, i have an old house 115 years old two storie, and the downstairs is Plaster walls beauitful. My upstairs well this is the problem, Iam doing my hallway, and the previous owners tried to apply texture to the walls with looks to be with a roller? And it has pull down in the texture that just looks like ****? Sorry best way i could explain the look. So iam trying to cover it up with Joint compound and its covering it well, and then iam going to apply a Starburst pattern with my stomp brush, that i have done many times in other people homes and they just love the look. But the wall are going to be done the same way, but iam going to apply a Ramdon pattern look. Iam telling you this because iam about to go crazy and needed a break from this project? Sorry to Ramble, Its nice to come here and talk to you guys, Pro's

Splinter2

splinter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Repairing walls???????

Stipple on the walls? If you're going to the trouble of skimming to kill the old pattern, why not sand smooth and paint??

Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Repairing walls???????

I was woundering how much trouble sanding and mess it would be to sand old plaster walls?
splinter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Repairing walls???????

You'll actually be sanding the skim coat of mud you're applying to "kill" the texture that's there now. If the original is painted (I'm assuming it is) you won't have a lot of luck sanding. I would look into renting a power sander from a rental place (some Home Depots have them). It hooks up to a vacuum to collect the dust. Perhaps hit the existing with some 80 grit paper to knock off the high points, a couple of coats of joint compound, sand again, and paint.......