DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Drywall & Plaster (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/)
-   -   Repairing Torn Drywall (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/repairing-torn-drywall-158518/)

oceanlife 09-30-2012 09:52 PM

Repairing Torn Drywall
 
I was removing tiles from the side of the walls around my sink counter tops and on one side the drywall was completely torn off. I'm not sure how I should go about repairing it, since the entire side is torn up, but the hole is only in the center of the drywall.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...1/P1020754.jpg

user1007 10-01-2012 06:27 AM

That is going to require that you cut a patch section. Being careful not to nick electrical, cut out the damaged section. You can use the framing as a guide for the drywall saw on the sides. You will need to cut some scrap 2x4 blocks and attach them to existing framing so you have something to screw the drywall patch to. Cut it the size of the opening. Screw it in place, mud and tape.

joecaption 10-01-2012 08:41 AM

That texture is going to have to be sanded off the wall at least 2" up from your new patch so you can apply the tape.

oceanlife 10-01-2012 11:44 AM

Great, thanks for the tips! So I place the mud over the entire section, tape and then reapply the mud?

oceanlife 10-01-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1020958)
That texture is going to have to be sanded off the wall at least 2" up from your new patch so you can apply the tape.

What are the main reasons for having to do this? Does it make it easier to blend the tape into the wall?

user1007 10-01-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanlife (Post 1021112)
Great, thanks for the tips! So I place the mud over the entire section, tape and then reapply the mud?

No, you cannot repair this with mud or anything else. You need to cut and fit a new patch. You cannot expect the tape to hold on textured painted surface which is why Joe suggested you have to sand it down.

Gary in WA 10-02-2012 12:49 AM

You could buy a "patch kit" that has most everything you need: http://www.usg.com/rc/installation-a...s-en-J1802.pdf

How to match the texture, if no backsplash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxNL...feature=relmfu

Gary
P.S. Hope the outlet is GFCI protected...

ToolSeeker 10-02-2012 08:53 AM

Also to rematch the texture you can go to the big box or most hardware stores and get a can of orange peel texture with the adjustable nozzle, practice on some scrap blend it in PRIME and paint. Good luck:thumbsup:

oceanlife 10-02-2012 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I patched the hole with new drywall and sanded around the outside edges. I'm planing on applying bulls eye 123 primer on the exposed paper and gypsum, followed by a coat of hot mud. I'm unsure on whether I should use the hot mud for my second coat or use an all purpose joint compound, since my walls are textured.

ToolSeeker 10-02-2012 08:44 PM

You are a little bit backwards on one point don't prime until you are done with the mud, and you know you have to put tape over the joints right? and for 2nd coat you can use hot mud or all purpose. All purpose is a lot easier to sand but takes longer to dry.

oceanlife 10-02-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1022427)
You are a little bit backwards on one point don't prime until you are done with the mud, and you know you have to put tape over the joints right? and for 2nd coat you can use hot mud or all purpose. All purpose is a lot easier to sand but takes longer to dry.

Yeah, I'm doing the taping next. I was told to prime the exposed paper and gypsum with 123 in place of gardz (I haven't been able to track it down). I assume this isn't necessary then, so I should just tape and apply the hot mud?

ToolSeeker 10-03-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanlife (Post 1022448)
Yeah, I'm doing the taping next. I was told to prime the exposed paper and gypsum with 123 in place of gardz (I haven't been able to track it down). I assume this isn't necessary then, so I should just tape and apply the hot mud?

Correct do all your mud work then prime. And the 123 is a good primer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.