Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #1

Share |

Repairing plaster ceiling 3'x5' hole

Hello. I am trying to find some information about repairing a plaster ceiling in my living room. We have had an on-going moisture problem around the chimney, and the plaster ceiling finally started to give way right around where the leak is. I have torn down the bubbled and broken plaster that was in danger of falling, and will be cutting out a 3'x5' square of plaster in order to repair it. However, the plaster is attached to a type of fiberboard as opposed to a wood lathe, and this stuff seems extremely fragile as well as prone to absorbing water. I am going to have to put some type of material down underneath the replacement drywall, and I am hoping I can get some suggestions as to what to use to repair this. I won't be completing this repair until we have definitely fixed the leaking problem we have been having, I am just looking for some insight. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing plaster ceiling 3'x5' hole-ceiling.jpg   Repairing plaster ceiling 3'x5' hole-ceiling2.jpg  

stock2mal is offline   Reply With Quote