Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Repairing drywall for knee wall

In a book on drywall, I read that there is a product on the market intended for use as drywall tape for the obtuse angle found in knee walls. It is a drywall tape that has a vinyl bead that allows for some expansion and contraction. I think it is also adhesive. Anyone use such a product with success? Is it available at your average DIY store? The book did not give a brand name for this product or any other help in the "source" section. Also, have been told that "vinyl" drywall compound is useful in this application. Any advice on that? Unfortunately, my last attempt at repairing this joint took forever, looked good for six months, and now the cracks have all returned with a vengeance. (I used paper drywall tape and regular joint compound.) Totally demoralizing. I don't want to make that mistake again.

Felmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felmo
In a book on drywall, I read that there is a product on the market intended for use as drywall tape for the obtuse angle found in knee walls. It is a drywall tape that has a vinyl bead that allows for some expansion and contraction. I think it is also adhesive. Anyone use such a product with success? Is it available at your average DIY store? The book did not give a brand name for this product or any other help in the "source" section. Also, have been told that "vinyl" drywall compound is useful in this application. Any advice on that? Unfortunately, my last attempt at repairing this joint took forever, looked good for six months, and now the cracks have all returned with a vengeance. (I used paper drywall tape and regular joint compound.) Totally demoralizing. I don't want to make that mistake again.
Knee walls have an obtuse angle?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #3

Maybe I am not using the correct terminology. Let me try again: Where the sloped ceiling meets the flat wall, it creates a corner much greater than 90 degrees. It is an off-angle corner. Any suggestions?
Felmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felmo View Post
Maybe I am not using the correct terminology. Let me try again: Where the sloped ceiling meets the flat wall, it creates a corner much greater than 90 degrees. It is an off-angle corner. Any suggestions?
I don't know why its cracking. Paper tape should have been fine. The only reason for plastic or metal is to get a nice, straight line.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

I agree with Titanmen, paper tape should've worked? however, I did find this

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._G0qQyxrr5TQoA
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote