Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
pjm

Share |

Repairing cracked drywall seams

I am going to be repainting my hallway and there are some seams that have cracked and I would like to repair them before I repaint. I searched online and found two methods of doing this and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. One method was to scrape out the old tape and mud and start from scratch. The other was to just tape right over what's already there. Also which type of tape do you prefer? I've seem this fiberglass mesh adhesive tape, but I used it previously and didn't like the results. Is it better for using it when repairing? I have done taping before not a master at it, but can get it done nice with some sanding. Any ideas or tips on how to make this job go smooth would be great as I will also be doing our bedroom this summer and will have to repair some more cracks then.

pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Drywall contractor

Exactly what kind of cracks?? Corners or flat joints? On flats I would definitely recommend tearing out the old tape. That gets you back to a recessed joint to work with. If you go over what's there, your joints tend to "protrude" or "round out" more as you're building up more mud. Hence the joints become more noticeable. Especially true on any "butt" joints (where non-tapered edges come together). Either tape will work. If you use the mesh, use a setting type compound at least for the first coat. Inside corners you could tape over what's there as long as there's no blistered or loose tape. Paper tape is the only way to go in the corners. Several thinner coats will get better results than trying to "pile on" a lot of mud in one coat to cover the tape. It's going to shrink regardless and need additional coat(s).....

Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
pjm

Yes they are flat wall seams so I guess I should dig them out. One more question with the paper tape do you dampen it before you put it on? I never have, but have seen it done on tv. Does it just make the tape easier to work with?

Thanks for the quick reply.
pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

I've never done it and I don't see why it would help in any way. There is a "self adhesive" type of paper tape and I believe you wet it before applying, I guess to activate the adhesive(??). With regular tape you just apply a coat of mud, embed your tape by applying light pressure with your knife, cut the tape at the end of the joint, then wipe the excess mud out from underneath with heavier pressure. Allow to dry thoroughly before re-coating.