Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is This Repairable?

Hello All! This is my first time posting in this forum. I was moving some large furniture around my apartment and hit the protruding part of my ceiling which happens to be a corner. It left a little bit of a gash but it seems repairable. Does anyone know how I would go about repairing it with plaster (process, tools, etc.)? It is not more than a foot wide. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Jon
Attached Images

kingfoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Is This Repairable?

Anything is repairable. Because that is Plaster with metal lathe, you are best to use what is commonly called "Hot" mud.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
kingfoppa (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Is This Repairable?

Thanks for the help. Are you sure that it is metal? My friend said that it is concrete. Can I get hot mud at any hardware store?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Is This Repairable?

Nope, Plaster & metal lathe. The first coat of plaster in old buildings looks like mortar or some call it concrete, such as your friend. Which it is far from it.

If this is a small fix, you can get pre-mix that has the same chemical make up as hot mud but will not be as strong. I use Vinyl Spackle when doing repairs in my house which has what is called "Rock-Lathe".

Now of course, getting that corner will be hard without taking your time and properly feathering out the patch, but I am sure that you can do it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 260

Is This Repairable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfoppa View Post
Can I get hot mud at any hardware store?
Most likely. If not Lowes or Home Depot has it.
It's the powder form joint compound that you add water and mix. You will only need to mix about a cup of the powder at a time for that size repair.
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #6

Is This Repairable?

Thanks for the help guys! Do you think I should just prepare the mix and put it on as carefully as possible? I have brushed away any loose pieces so everything is solid. Also, in your opinion, how long do you think a job will take? Sorry about all the questions. I just don't want to screw this up.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Is This Repairable?

Probably one beer while mixing and applying the mud, then let it dry, sand lightly, apply another coat of mud if it sunk a little, or you sanded too much, have another beer and let it dry. Then come back in a day and sand lightly, prime with Kilz or Zinser, wait a couple of hours and then paint.

Pretty much can be done in one day, but stuff like that I do it over a weekend, and use it as an excuse, so I can sit and watch movies and drink my favorite micro-brew.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #8

Is This Repairable?

Thanks a bunch. Last question...any recommendations on the brand of mix I should use?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Is This Repairable?

What Sir Mix alot posted. LaFarge is another brand, which is just as good.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #10

Is This Repairable?

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is This Repairable?

It appears to be a metal corner bead, is it a coffered ceiling? Another picture would help...

If the bead is pushed in on the undamaged side - out of plane, it may still show after your repair, then you would need to cut that section out- why is the landlord not doing it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxNL...feature=relmfu

Gary
Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

Is This Repairable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
It appears to be a metal corner bead, is it a coffered ceiling? Another picture would help...

If the bead is pushed in on the undamaged side - out of plane, it may still show after your repair, then you would need to cut that section out- why is the landlord not doing it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxNL...feature=relmfu

Gary

You wanna bet he does not know about it?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is This Repairable?

No know... to both!

Gary