Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #1

Share |

Repair 3 inch diameter holes

I will be blowing in some insulation behind dry wall and the requirement is essentially 16 three inch diameter holes for every ten feet and there is over 100 linear feet...
I will of course try to save as many of the plugs as possible but am looking for a quick and simple way to cover the holes by replacing the plugs or???

TIA

MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #2

As long as I had the plugs, I would slip a short 1x2 into the hole and work it around so it was laying across the hole. Drive a couple screws in each side through the "good" drywall. Put the plug over the new board and screw it in. Mud, sand, paint.

jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

That's one silly way of insulating a wall. That's going to be a ton of drywall repair and no real good way to support the plugs when you try to replace them. And why are you not boring the holes from the outside?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Too Old

I don't know of an easy way to do 160 holes. Why are you doing it this way? Older house or room convertion? Are you sure this is going to work, I have seen this done on garage convertions but I always wondered how good it goes around the wires and other things in the walls. I would worry about a lot of areas that may not get insulation and how much will it settle over time.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
As long as I had the plugs, I would slip a short 1x2 into the hole and work it around so it was laying across the hole. Drive a couple screws in each side through the "good" drywall. Put the plug over the new board and screw it in. Mud, sand, paint.
This ^^^

Jim
More Power! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

I've gutted and completly redone many old houses that where insulated by boring holes like that, not one had a wall full of insulatrion. All had nothing about 12" down from the top, nothing 6" down from the window stools and any place a wire crossed the studs or it happened to get caught on a nail it just piled up.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's one silly way of insulating a wall. That's going to be a ton of drywall repair and no real good way to support the plugs when you try to replace them. And why are you not boring the holes from the outside?
I would think that the companies selling these products would have stopped doing so if this was such a silly way.
I would also ask why drilling the outside would be less silly.
In any event drilling and filling drywall (one of the suggested methods with all such systems) is a lot easier than drilling through and then repairing stucco, wire mesh, and wood.

Owens-Corning claims their material will fill past wires, of which there are few in this old house and an inexpensive device widely available will show any voids that might result.

I don't think I will be able to afford aerogel pellets when/if they hit the market in 2013 or so but this will be the wave of the future.

To those who actually contributed something, thanks.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

And your right it would be hard with that type siding, I should have asked before.
Has this house ever had the wiring redo up to currect codes? Your reply about lack of wires makes me think not.
Great time to remove the old plaster and lath, rewire add insulation and not have to do it later.
You would be shocked to see all the old bare, hidden splices with just tape around them, critter eaten wire, lack of blocking at the top and bottom of the walls.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Civil Engineer

I have seen foam plugs for sale in a wide range of diameters. They are slightly tapered, you just tap them into the hole slightly inset, mud over them. If you cannot find them, you can make your own using a block of styrofoam and a hole saw that is about 1/8 inch larger in diameter than the hole you are seeking to fill, you compress the plug and insert. Just make sure the material you are using meets local fire code requirements, there are some forms of foam that are highly fire resistant, and others will go up like a torch.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

It's how cellulose is blown in. And the perfectly good and customary and reliable way of patching drywall with the cutout piece is exactly as jproffer stated. And lastly, boring holes from the outside? Because that is less work to patch? Are you out of your mind?
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
old guy contractor

How about a California patch?
Just make your round hole a square..............

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
Depending on what you have laying around, you can also do this with something thinner, using a dollop of adhesive on each end of a 6" or so long piece, tuck it behind the drywall, hold it for 20 seconds or so, and move onto the next one, then go back later and glue the plugs in place. 6 of one and a half dozen of the other, as the screw holes are almost effortless to mud as long as you're mudding the plugs in place. It depends on how many plugs that you salvage getting them out of the hole saw, but you may also find that it's easier to just cut the holes square to start with, and go with the California patch.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Tileguy

Do the wall interiors (stud bays) contain fire-blocking?

Is that why there are 16 holes in every ten feet, so-as to get below the fire-blocking?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
old guy contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Do the wall interiors (stud bays) contain fire-blocking?

Is that why there are 16 holes in every ten feet, so-as to get below the fire-blocking?
I was taught that you need two holes per bay.
One up high and one down low.
Blow the insulation in from the bottom until it comes out the top.

If there's fire blocking, you just add holes to fill each bay.

Last edited by tcleve4911; 12-30-2011 at 08:20 AM.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #15

I agree with tcleve ... hot patches are the way to go.. or re drywall....

luckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote