Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Share |

Reno Disaster.. DRywall fix up..

Ok.. so I'm at a point in the basement.. that I can't tackle.. I'm looking for some advice that I might not have been able to figure out.. I'm kind of at a loss on how to cover up this mess.. Anyone out there handy enough to lend some advice on what they would do in order to make this... liveable..

I should also point out.. I didn't make this mess.. just trying to figure out a way that it can be corrected...

Angle 1

Angle 2

ABElectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Tileguy

So you are wanting to fill all of those humongous gaps, right?

Use expanding foam. Once it has cured go back and saw off the protrusions with a steak knife flush to the surface of the wall. Then use some joint compound and joint tape to mud-over the foam. Sand it and paint it.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #3

ok.. thats awesome... Great suggestion.. NOW!! to figure out how to smooth over that 2 inch difference between the walls..
Old 06-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
ok.. thats awesome... Great suggestion.. NOW!! to figure out how to smooth over that 2 inch difference between the walls..
Oh...is that what that is?

How about a hokey 1X6 nailed over it and stained or painted? Call it a trim or decoration or something.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Tileguy

If you plan to use the spray foam technique then say so and I'll expand on that idea a little.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

ya I think I will use the spray foam to fill the gaps..
Old 06-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #7

I'll clarify.. I've put this in construction as well due to the 2 inch difference between wall depth. I thought both topics would apply.. sorry if I broke a rule
Old 06-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

1 topic, 1 thread. Deleted the other thread. No harm done by making a simple mistake.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Mod

That’s a special kind of ugly for sure. What’s it attached to now, glued to the foundation or what?

I see pulling some sheets to make it right.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #10

ugh.. ya, I'm hoping to avoid having to pull anything.. it'll open things up even worse.. the drywall is glued to styrafoam.. and the foam is boarded up against a wooden structure up against the foundation.. basically I have no idea how to make this visibly acceptable until they are able to afford a repair. House built in the 70's and I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the Foam idea to fill the gaps.. just not sure about how to join the two walls..
Old 06-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Tileguy

Quote:
I'll clarify.. I've put this in construction as well due to the 2 inch difference between wall depth. I thought both topics would apply.. sorry if I broke a rule
Nope, no rules broken but the thing is, it's the same people viewing all threads. When a single topic is opened in more than one thread it starts getting real confusing when comments are made in both threads without knowledge of the second thread. No big deal.

I'm not sure how well joint compound will want to stick to the foam. So...I would use some spray adhesive to spray the juncture. Then after that adhesive tacks-up apply some mesh seam tape. That way the joint compound won't try to separate from the foam. 3M makes a spray adhesive for use with drywall components.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #12

Thanks for the idea.. I'll give it a shot over the next couple days and let you know how it worked out..

The Following User Says Thank You to ABElectrician For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (06-26-2011)