Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Removing Wallpaper Glue From Drywall

Hello everyone. This is my first post on DIY Chatroom. You will probably see me here a lot from now on.

My wife and I are probably the least handy people on the planet! We purchased a house about 1 year ago, and are finally getting around to making changes. Nothing has been updated in the house since the late 70s/early 80s, and we are determined to do as much of the renovations as possible by ourselves.

We decided to start with a fairly easy job, removing all of the wallpaper in the house and painting. We are starting with the ugly grass cloth wallpaper in the living room.

We have successfully removed the paper and the backing paper from the walls with very little damage to the drywall. When the paper was hung, they did not prime the walls at all, so we are now looking at bare drywall with a layer of bumpy glue.

My question is, how do we go about removing the glue from the walls so that we can paint? Do we just spray the M1 wallpaper remover on it, and wipe it off with a sponge. Or, is there something else we meed to use?

Thanks for you help on this, and I am looking forward to asking many more questions as we begin tearing our house apart!!

R2dTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #2

wet it with water, and keep it wet = could take hours. do a small area to test.

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

If the water doesn't work they make products for the wallpaper adhesive removal and can be found at the big box stores or most hardware stores. Since you are new let me add you must remove ALL the adhesive or it can really effect your paint. To be sure it's gone you can mix 1ounce of iodine with 1 qt of water put in a spray bottle and mist the wall. If the spray turns bluish purple there is still adhesive. Use sparingly because iodine will stain if overused.
Welcome to forum.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

First off it is PASTE not glue
Whatever you used to remove the paper( ugly grass cloth???), just use that again on the paste. Spray it on with a little garden sprayer with hot water, let it soak 10 minutes, spray it again, let it soak, spray it again and scrape it off with a 4 or 5 inch drywall blade.After that spray again and scrub it with a big green scrubby pad you would use on pots and pans. Spray again and wipe it down with a sponge. It goes way quicker than it sounds. You will never get it ALL off, so priming either with Gardz or Cover Stain in necessary before painting.

My finger is sore
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
First off it is PASTE not glue
Whatever you used to remove the paper( ugly grass cloth???), just use that again on the paste. Spray it on with a little garden sprayer with hot water, let it soak 10 minutes, spray it again, let it soak, spray it again and scrape it off with a 4 or 5 inch drywall blade.After that spray again and scrub it with a big green scrubby pad you would use on pots and pans. Spray again and wipe it down with a sponge. It goes way quicker than it sounds. You will never get it ALL off, so priming either with Gardz or Cover Stain in necessary before painting.

My finger is sore
Thanks for the advice. I apologize for offending you with my use of the wrong sticky word! Paste, Glue...it's ALL sticky! I'll try to use the correct term next time.
R2dTOO is offline   Reply With Quote