Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing trim from Interior Door

I recently had a new vanity installed in my bathroom. However, the vanity drawers are very tight against the wall (about 1/4" clearance). When the drawer is opened, it hits the door trim so that it can not open all the way. As a temporary solution, I've removed the door trim from that side of the door, but obviously this is an unacceptable look. I plan to remove the other two pieces of trim and just go with no trim at all. But how? Is it as simple as applying some compound to smooth the area and then paint? Any help is appreciated.

diynovice04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

The right way to approach this is to simply move the vanity, and add a piece of filler wood. Your side splash should still cover the end of the countertop.

Simple fact is that the installer did his work incorrectly.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

if you cant move the vanity you may be able to shift the drawer face or trim some of the drawer face or a combination of both
Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

There is no room to move the vanity. It is a 72" double sink with about 1/16th space on each side between the vanity and the wall. This thing is permanently in there. Trimming the drawer fronts may be an option.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

the drawer face is usually screwed on. if you have space to the next door/ drawer i would try moving first
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #6

The drawer sides and bottom are attached in grooves on the back of the face and glued. And there is no space to shift the front anyway. The perfect storm.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

How bad is it hitting? Any chance to plane down the side of the drawer front, hit with some stain and be done with it?

What type of trim is currently on the door? Any chance to change it to a lower profile?

Just thinking out loud...
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Sometimes it is possible to shift one of the drawer glides (the one farthest away from the door) toward the back of the vanity.

If that doesn't cause the drawer to 'cock' a little try loosening all the mounting screws then force a slight cocked angle to the drawer travel path with a shim in the front of the glide on the door side, and a shim at the rear of the glide on the other side. Then re-tighten the screws. This is Mickey Mouse, but it could work.

Last edited by Willie T; 04-28-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #9

Thanks for all the advice, but the only option is going to be removing the trim. There is no way to slide the drawer to the side and the amount of clearance between the drawer front and the wall is about 1/8" upon further review. Advice on how to finish the un-trimmed doorway and avoid future cracking?

Tags
corner, door, drywall, interior, molding