Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Share |

Removing Popcorn, the Aerosol Kind

Ok, so I searched for information on removing popcorn ceilings and have found tons of information. Started stripping this morning and things were going great until I hit....the patch. When we purchased our house there were two places where roof leaks had caused the popcorn to fall off. Before the sale these were repaired with the aerosol mess and look like crap. So we're scraping it all off to do flat ceilings. Trouble is, the aerosol mess won't come off! Is there anything that will take it off without damaging the drywall or do I have to cut the spots out?

horseonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

A mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
Apply mix and let it soak in a bit then scrape.

sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
A mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
Apply mix and let it soak in a bit then scrape.
You can try that. There is no guarantee that it will work. the aerosol stuff is designed to stick and not come off. You may very well end up damaging the ceiling. My diy advice as always when it comes to repairing drywall..... Call a professional. I quit the business back in October but I still know what i am talking about. If you want your home to look like a professional did it, i suggest you hire one. sometimes if there is a leak there, that also means the drywall has been comprimised and may require additional patching.

If you haven't checked out my popcorn removal site, i suggest you do it.

http://howtoremovepopcorn.com
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

If your skills are up to it, cut the bad places out and patch with new rock.

What the heck, you're going to be skim coating joints, nail indentions, etc, etc., anyway.

Not to derail this thread, but here's my professional take on textures:

Many know that "popcorn" ceilings (or any other textured ceilings, or walls) is a money saving, and time saving, method of finishing those surfaces. Less material cost, less labor cost, and less desirable too.

As a rule you will find:

Tract built homes? Popcorn...

Custom built homes? Smooth...
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #5

That's what I was afraid of. Even tried a little stripper on it. What's the purpose of this mess anyway and why would any contractor ever use it? The texture wasn't even close and it was more yellowy than white (kind of like finely textured vomit spewed on the ceiling and allowed to crystallize into a formation of abominable stalactites). Not really the fluffy popcorny look of the rest of the ceiling.

Is fixing the ceiling about the same as walls? I'm going to have to cut out about a 4' X 4' chunk and a smaller 2" x 1.5' or so spot. Can I just patch the small spot or should I take it back to a joist?

Any idea on cost to pay someone to do it? The whole room's about 500 sq ft. May go ahead and get the two bathrooms done as well. I honestly hate doing drywall but for some reason I've got this aversion to paying people to do stuff when its something I can do myself...
horseonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseonthefly View Post

Is fixing the ceiling about the same as walls? I'm going to have to cut out about a 4' X 4' chunk and a smaller 2" x 1.5' or so spot. Can I just patch the small spot or should I take it back to a joist?
Pretty much the same as doing the walls, other than "mud in your eye"...

A small patch there's no need to go back to a joist. Put a piece of wood behind the area to be patched, screw it in place, screw the patch in place, then finish with a wide taper to hide the patch, or use the "California Patch method.

Quote:
Any idea on cost to pay someone to do it? The whole room's about 500 sq ft. May go ahead and get the two bathrooms done as well. I honestly hate doing drywall but for some reason I've got this aversion to paying people to do stuff when its something I can do myself...

I wouldn't even guess what the cost to bring in a pro would be, as the costs vary so much by area.

Me, I'm currently doing a job where I'm hanging some rock, doing some patching, and doing the initial mudding. Then I have a pro that will come in and get the finish right, as compared to the mess I'd leave behind, since I'm not patient enough, or don't have that finesse touch that it takes to get it really right...
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Drywall and Painting Pro

Or you could just take some joint compound skim coat over those areas where the popcorn isn't coming off.
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
Or you could just take some joint compound skim coat over those areas where the popcorn isn't coming off.
I will partly agree with you but only in part.

The problem with this is if you are picky about how you want it to look, call a professional that will do it right. If you don't care, than try it yourself. it is a good idea to basically skim over and feather out the bad area, but it may leave a noticable hump if you dont do it properly. for a professional, it can be anywhere from $1- $2 a sq/ft depending on the services. But remember, you get what you pay for. I am a firm believer in this. the higher the price, the more likely someone is to take their time and do it right. but you have to read reviews.

Ive done many popcorn removals and taken 2 days to do them because i was well paid, and had the overhead to cover costs and still make a decent profit.