Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #1

Share |

removing drywall and when to stop

Opened a can of worms. Half the wall had tongue and groove board so I removed. Noticed that the drywall above was shimmed with 1/4" plywood so removing drywall. Now that I have got to the corners I find that the whole room has the 1/4" shims. Owner had also used unfaced insulation but no vapor barrier. Planned on just fixing the one wall but now wondering if I should try to fix the whole room. Afraid it is just going to get worse since I am not exactly a handyman. Any thoughts?

artee gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

First, not quite understanding what "1/4&qot;" plywood and shims are. Why did you remove it to begin with? Was there a structural/damage issue to deal with?? Need a bit more info and maybe a pic or two...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

[quote=bjbatlanta;1067105]First, not quite understanding what "1/4&qot;" plywood and shims are.

BJ,
the '&qot' should be ", as in inch. Some programs change the " sign to ampersand .... why, I don't know. But I see it all the time.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Thanks Firehawk. That just shows my computer ignorance. I didn't know if there was some pertinent info I was missing in the "translation". Still trying to grasp the total picture of what's involved...