Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Remove wallpaper from plywood

A previous owner "drywalled" my 100+yo house with 1/4" plywood and then glued wallpaper on it with Elmers or something similar.

The wall paper was put on very nicely except for the choice of adhesive, but it is not to my taste.

I have tried steam, hot water, hot water + vinegar, hot water + detergent, and when the steam didn't work right away I tried with a paper tiger (then all the other stuff). I can't get any of it off. The only place it comes off is one corner where the settling of the house has loosened it.

Any suggestions how to get it off, or should I just skim it with joint compound and prime/paint over it? One thing to consider is that the house is pier and beam and moves a LOT.

Thanks!

Metra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metra View Post
A previous owner "drywalled" my 100+yo house with 1/4" plywood and then glued wallpaper on it with Elmers or something similar.

The wall paper was put on very nicely except for the choice of adhesive, but it is not to my taste.

I have tried steam, hot water, hot water + vinegar, hot water + detergent, and when the steam didn't work right away I tried with a paper tiger (then all the other stuff). I can't get any of it off. The only place it comes off is one corner where the settling of the house has loosened it.

Any suggestions how to get it off, or should I just skim it with joint compound and prime/paint over it? One thing to consider is that the house is pier and beam and moves a LOT.

Thanks!
Sounds as if this is you're only choice. Be SURE to use an oil primer, stain blocker.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn

Sounds as if this is you're only choice. Be SURE to use an oil primer, stain blocker.
Thanks!
Metra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elmer's glue, plywood walls, wallpaper removal