Reinforcement For Round Cutout - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

reinforcement for round cutout

I am adding a 2nd canned light over the bathroom sink. The original 6" canned light uses a metal pan with a round reinforcing lip for the can. This is drywall topped with plaster and the ring is embedded right in the plaster. I'd like to do the same when I add another light. I guess I could plaster or caulk the canned light in place, but I like the idea of a separate ring. It could be metal, plastic or cardboard with ~6.25" to 6.5" ID, maybe even some flexible flashing that could be bent in a ring.

Ideas?

Advertisement

tns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

It is unnecessary. Modern can lights come with bars that span the joists to hold the can in place or retro-fit cans are held in place by the drywall itself like a cut-in switch box. Mudding them in is not needed.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

The exposed edge is old plaster (basically sand held together with spit). Very solid when its all coated/painted but once you cut it, it will keep flaking off. A protective ring just makes sense. The last time I did this I think I made a ring from some dense cardboard and mudded it in, so I'll just do the same here. I thought I'd find some metal edging in a ring shape but no luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #4

...another problem is the retro-fit Halo cans I can get have a tiny 0.25" lip on the can. This lip (and springs) are what hold the can in place, so the hole you cut needs to be pretty exact. If these cans had a bigger lip or a matching ring/bezel for the plaster it would be so much easier.

I think what I am looking for is called a plaster ring. Some flashing for 6" vent pipe might work too if I can find some I can modify.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #5

I ended up buying a piece of vinyl drywall edging, and cutting off the 3/4" wide perforated strip. From this strip I made rings by overlapping the ends and gluing with pvc pipe cement, then clamping in a vise. I also removed the original can since it is probably not up to code, and cut/filed a 2nd hole using my plastic rings as a guide. I used thinset to mud them into the holes I cut in the plaster. The resulting holes aren't perfectly round like I'd have with a pre-made plaster ring or bezel, but close enough, and less likely to flake or chip.