Recurring Drywall Crack? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Recurring drywall crack?

I have a drywall seam crack that keeps reappearing and it's driving me batty. I've tried everything from spackle to elastic crack spray with no results. I suspect the best solution is to pull the old drywall tape and re-tape it. However, that solution seems rather drastic. Is there anything else that might work?

Advertisement

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Recurring drywall crack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post
...I suspect the best solution is to pull the old drywall tape and re-tape it.
Yes, you have it right. Read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post
However, that solution seems rather drastic. Is there anything else that might work?
No, absolutley no, this is not a drastic step. It is a necessary step for a proper drywall crack repair. Cracks cannot be repaired by simply coating with spackle.

You must apply tape, to the crack.

If you tape the crack, coat as needed, and sand, it should not re-crack. If the crack is an obvious "sheetrock seam", then you may also wish to install additional drywall screws to the area (secure it), before taping and coating.

Good Luck.

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Recurring drywall crack?

WB is absolutely correct. Where is the problem area?? Over a door or window? If so, likely it didn't get fastened properly. Often the hangers will just nail top and bottom on short header spans allowing movement when doors/windows are opened and closed....