Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Recurring ceiling crack - Drywall Expansion Joint?

Master Bedroom ceiling has a large (10 foot) crack running perpendicular to the ceiling joists. This is a recurring problem that happens over and over for the last 20 years.

The crack runs about half way across the master bedroom ceiling. I/others have repaired it with both Paper and Tape, and neither has held. I have done other cracks with great success, so I do not believe that my technique was to blame.

I do not know how to immobilize the joists above (or if that would even be a good idea). The only other thing I can think of is an expansion joint.

I searched this forum, and found that it may also be known as a "Vinyl Expansion Joint".

1) I have googled "Drywall Expansion Joint" and see that there are some products out there, but I have not read people's experience with it. How was the installation, and how has it lasted? How does it look?

2) The crack currently runs 1/2 way across the room. Should I install the expansion joint just in that area, or all the way across the room.

3) How do you finish the joint? Do you leave it exposed? Add a cover? Spackle/Prime/Paint?

Any feedback would be deeply appreciated.
Thank you.

kuj0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 60

Do you have joists or rafters? Is the seam that is cracking, on a joist, or running parallel across them?

Flexing of the board, bad tape and mud job is a couple of reasons.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

http://amico-lath.com/drywall/control_joint.htm this is what we always used in large buildings, warehouses,parking garages and such. I'd run it wall to wall, put paper tape over plastic it staples on. when finished pull the protective strip from center.

good luck
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #4

gregzoll - Joists. It is running paralell, and not along a joist itself (between joists)

I have a feeling that its structural movement that is causing the issue (I wish I had taken pictures prior to taking it down). The last failure was unique in that it cracked forming curls in the broken tape. Its hard to explain, but I imagine that the two boards moved paralell to each other along the edge (not compressed or pulled away from each other).

Thanks coupe - I will try that.

-K
kuj0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 34

Got a picture of that area up in the attic?
Are you trying to use the attic for storage?
Is there any cross ties?
Is there a perlin across the tops of the joist?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #6

Need to know what is behind it as thats where the problem is.
Anything moving?

masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote