Quick Door And Window Question - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

quick door and window question

I'm remodeling the kitchen and I put in a new door and window. The house is 2x4 stud walls, and the way the door and window fit into the framing, they were were both perfectly flush with the studs when they were flush outside.
Well, they are both fully installed now, but I have to drywall. It seems like they should both protrude 1/2 inch for the easiest solution to putting up the drywall and later putting the final trim on.

But as they are, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do (yes, it's my first big DIY). If I cut the drywall right up to the jambs and stop, I don't know see how I fill in the strip of space left when I put on the trim. If I line the trim up with the drywayll, the edge of the drywall will be visible.

If I run the drywall across the jam and flush with the openings of the door and window, then the edge will also be visible all the way around later when I put up the trim.

The only solution I am coming up with is option 1, and then find an L shaped trim where the bottom of the L is 1/2inch long. If I go that route, I may also end up cutting those L pieces myself (say cut out a 2x4 1/2 inch deep lengthwise except for the width of the jamb, and have that overhang the end of the drywall).

Doesn't seem ideal.
Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Advertisement

wengang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

they do make an L trim like you mention. most big box stores carry it in the molding and trim section.

however may not be the best solution.

you said the windows and doors are already installed. Can you post a picture?

how old is your house? are the 2x4's actually true 2x4's and no 3 1/2 x 1 1/2?

Advertisement

williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
A door a day is all I ask

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds like you could mill some 1/2" jamb extensions to bring jamb
flush to drywall for casing.
Or perhaps you could use bullnose corner bead for drywall and not have
casing.
Probably should aim for look that is similar to rest of house.

The Door Guy
www.thedoorguy.com
TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

What the Door Guy said. Or look for 1/2 x 3/4 parting strip [ pine] Home depot stocks it.
Nevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengang1 View Post
I'm remodeling the kitchen and I put in a new door and window. The house is 2x4 stud walls, and the way the door and window fit into the framing, they were were both perfectly flush with the studs when they were flush outside.
Well, they are both fully installed now, but I have to drywall. It seems like they should both protrude 1/2 inch for the easiest solution to putting up the drywall and later putting the final trim on.

But as they are, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do (yes, it's my first big DIY). If I cut the drywall right up to the jambs and stop, I don't know see how I fill in the strip of space left when I put on the trim. If I line the trim up with the drywayll, the edge of the drywall will be visible.

If I run the drywall across the jam and flush with the openings of the door and window, then the edge will also be visible all the way around later when I put up the trim.

The only solution I am coming up with is option 1, and then find an L shaped trim where the bottom of the L is 1/2inch long. If I go that route, I may also end up cutting those L pieces myself (say cut out a 2x4 1/2 inch deep lengthwise except for the width of the jamb, and have that overhang the end of the drywall).

Doesn't seem ideal.
Am I missing something?

Thanks.
This problem is handled by cutting 1/2" thick strips on a table saw and building out the window and door so that it is equal to the sheetrock. This 1/2" piece can be nailed even with the window or door frame or set back 1/8" or so as a reveal. Then apply your finish moulding.
dadflynn is offline   Reply With Quote