Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Question regarding speaker/network lines when planning to drywall celing

I posted this up in the home theater section but maybe it would be better suited here.

I'm in the process of finishing my basement. I am about done with the framing and starting to think electric. I also have 2 seperate rooms where I plan to have speaker wire run. The first room/area is the main area and bar. I have 4 speakers I plan to run wire too. Then I have my "media room" I would eventually like to run a 7.1 surround to. I also plan to run Coax and network lines and all of this will be coming from my utility room which is pretty much right in between the two locations.

Now what I'm having a problem with is how to go about running these lines. I plan to drywall the celeing. So that being said I'm trying to think ahead and not hose myself if down the road I need to add/change a line. It's easy enough to simply just run the cat6, coax, and speaker wire to my locations but once I drywall I'll probably never be able to get a line back to that location. So I guess I"m wondering do I really care? Part of me thinks that as long as I have the lines in place and have more then enough drops to areas that I would or may want lines run to should I stress out about trying to come up with some sort of "case pipe" system? My first thought was to use pvc pipe and run that sort of system for all my lines but that's proving tougher then I orrigonally thought. Getting the pipe where I need it with little bends will be impossible and if I add in 90 degree angles i'm not so sure I'll get a fish tape through anyway defeating the purpose. I can add a few access panels into the celing but not sure if that would be enough to really be able to move lines around and I don't want a ton of access panels all over the place.

The only other think I was thinking about was maybe when I get an electricial to do the electric we add in more conduit for this purpose?

Any advice for this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

gec5741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

I wouldn't worry about it, it's going to be tough to use any type of conduit system in the future if it's not very simple and straight.

Just in case though. A ping pong ball, some string, and a vacuum cleaner will get you further than fishing tape when it comes to conduit. Assuming it's empty.

mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 42

The 'case pipe' is not a bad idea... having a way of getting wires from one major area to another comes in handy.

But don't sweat about trying to have all options covered. The reality is....if you have speaker wire in each corner....there are only a couple of good spots to put the equipment....make a decision and run with it.

And remember....wireless is only going to get better.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote