Purple Board And Joint Compound - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Purple Board and Joint Compound

I promised to help my son finish his bathroom project. My job, since I've installed drywall and mudded before, is to bring the walls to a state where they could be painted.

I however am not sure what I got myself into this time. My son has installed purple board through out his bathroom. He told me that's what the home supply center recommned because his project was in a damp and high humid area.

My question is how do I finsih this purple board since there are no tapered edges where the drywall pieces come together? I even look at new piece at the home supply center and it has no tapered edges as well.

Won't this be impossible to finish with join compound or am I just not that experienced of a finisher to know how?

Thank you for your help...

-Ron

Advertisement

Last edited by jtown67933; 05-12-2010 at 03:13 PM.
jtown67933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Any pics of this purple board ?
What home supply center ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

I got the purple board at Lowes. They told me it is the same as green board only purple. The board I got does have tapered sides. There are plenty of drywallers here that will give you tips but here is a link to get you started http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...tt-joints.aspx . Possibly you could treat the long joints as butt joints, but I'd wait and see what the experts say.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The material (Purple Board) was purchased at Home Depot and I can't believe it but it doesn't have tappered edges! I am wondering if this board is the type that should be used only if covered by a tub surround.

I live near Johnstown PA.

Last edited by jtown67933; 05-12-2010 at 09:12 PM.
jtown67933 is offline   Reply With Quote