Pros And Critics Tell How To Finish This Patch From Here - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Pros and critics tell how to finish this patch from here

This is where I start to have trouble. The tape is set in and the second coat at this point. Sometimes, not often, I get it done quick and pretty well. normaly I have to sand a lot and then sandded too much and add back on and still sometimes I dont like the end result.

The first two are on a smooth ceiling same patch just trying to give you a clear shot.

Then it is a wall with light texture so that is not as hard but I have a spot in this same house that is textured and I see the lines.

So i am wondering how? Lots of mudd, little, what size trwoel or blade?
What am i doing wrong and does it look good so far? Even if you answer after I go further it will be interesting to hear your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and critics tell how to finish this patch from here-ceiling.jpg   Pros and critics tell how to finish this patch from here-091.jpg   Pros and critics tell how to finish this patch from here-093.jpg   Pros and critics tell how to finish this patch from here-094.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by papason; 08-16-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: left out an important word
papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

"Sometimes, not often, I get it done quick and pretty well. normaly I have to sand a lot and then sandded too much and add back on and still sometimes I dont like the end result."

papason, first of all no offence intended. but, that looks like he mud was set with a brick. tape should be set with a 6" knife, keeping mud smooth. let dry, second coat with a 8,10,12, or 16" trowel or blade, keeping it clean. there should be little if any sanding between coats. just knock high spots off with knife blade. if sanded? wipe dust off before applying more mud, dust starts rolling up in mud. best to use a damp sponge just along edges of taper. when mud is smooth, let it dry. 1 more pull can pull mud into ridges.

once patch has been primed/painted, it's much harder to sand!

my suggestion, is to run your knife edge over the ridges trying to cut them off. then coat with 12"trowel that's bowed a bit. if trowel hits ridge? not cut off enough. feather on out with " knife.

good luck

Advertisement

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

No offense taken, thanks for the answer.

First I used 4 inch and thought small was the first step to set tape.

2nd. Thinking about it , I think mu mud is too thin. I noticed it putting it on and shoulda done different. It did not for some reason. Was meaning to use self mix but when it turned out what I got is actually premixed multi I just used it. Bug box from home dept. I assumed it was dry but no.
It says multi but it is the thinnest I ever used

What suggestions for me from here
Old 08-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

same as above, try to cut off ridges with knife, then apply another coat with 12" trowel
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
papason (08-23-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

yep, use a bigger knife for your later coats, go thin so just a minimum sand at the end, and i'd feather it out a bit more (spread the mud out a bit further from the patch to blend it in more).
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisBC For This Useful Post:
papason (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #6

So How do you know when you are finished? with my larger patch, that was not shown cause was not that far yet, especialy. I keep losing track of where the joints are and how far out to go? do you use a straight edge and can there be a little crown?

you know Maybe the pic exagerated things. a quick scrape with the trowel and it did not look so bad. These pics are of the first ceiling patch shown earlier. how does it look now?
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and critics tell how to finish this patch from here-001.jpg   Pros and critics tell how to finish this patch from here-002.jpg   Pros and critics tell how to finish this patch from here-003.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

prime and paint it, it's done
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Looks fine to me...

how to know when your done? give it a good sand with a trouble light to shine on it, run your hand over it to ensure it's smooth, shine the light on it at an angle so you can see any imperfections you may need to sand or touch up.

Priming it can be a good way to see any imperfections as well, just prime it and see how it looks, if anything bothers you then touch it up, get your topcoat, spot prime and paint..
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 154

it will always be hard to tell from a picture in all honesty. there are things that arent visible in pictures that the eye will pic up. however, depending on what type of mud you use, sometimes it comes with directions on the back.

all ways tape with a 6" knife first. apply tape and backfill it. then use a larger knife for your bed coat. then skim with a 12. make sure you scrape the mud first between coats to knock off edges and make is smooth running the knife along the joint if it is a patch, sometimes you have to take the mud out farther to make sure it is flat.

Advertisement