Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Problem Patching Large Drywall Hole

Hi

I a patching a large hole in my drywall that was cut out to fix a burst pipe last winter.

I have cut a square hole to expose the studs on either side of the hole. My plan is to fasten the replacement piece of drywall to the studs using drywall screws.

The hole measures approx. 31" x 7" and the drywall used for wall construction is 1/2" thick. I cut a piece of 1/2" drywall to a corresponding size for the patch.

Here's my issue...

I have pressed the patch of 1/2" drywall into the hole against the studs. The face of the patch sits flush with the face of the wall on one side of the hole only. On the other side of the hole the patch of drywall is recessed into the hole and therefore does not fit flush with the face of the wall. The drywall patch is recessed approx. 1/16th of an inch on one side.

Is building up the drywall patch with joint compound the appropriate way to tackle this job? What would the pros do in this situation in order to do a good job?

FuLLTiLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Mud it and tape it. Not enough to worry about.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
morningwood

Rewards Points: 25

Agreed, mud and tape---grab a beer and relax...done!
rahfiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
morningwood

Rewards Points: 25

Forgot to mention...I assume you did this, but just in case you didnt,

It is good to cut a couple 2x4 and fasten to the studs so the drywall piece has something to push back onto all around on all four sides. Lots less chance of your drywall fix cracking later on. It is not totally needed, but it would help. You can also use a fibreglass tape instead of paper tape that is a little stronger, then you could get away with not having to do the extra 2x4 supports on the top and bottom

Now go grab that beer
rahfiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Use setting type compound for the "fill" coat. It won't shrink as much, requiring fewer finish coats/less time to complete the repair. You can skim with regular compound.....
Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

It's been a while but I wanted to thank everyone for their responses - this job was completed and it looks great. Actually it looks unnoticeable, and that in itself is great.

The setting type joint compound was definitely the right product for this application

FuLLTiLT is offline   Reply With Quote