Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Share |

Price for drywalling basement

M in the process off finishing my basement and I got a quote for $2,000. My basement ceiling is already drywalled but not muddled or taped and the sq. footage is about 1500 sq ft.he said it would be around 45 pieces of drywall and the price includes taping,mudding and sanding so that the drywall would be ready for paint. I'm in York,PA does this sound like a fair price
Thanks

Frank0132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

I don't know. What do your neighbors think, and what is the average going rate in your area for a job that is the same as yours?

It could cost you $2,000, it could cost $20k, really can't give you a clue. Maybe if you call Alex Tribek, he could tell you.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

NO one here is going to be quoting prices.
Best thing you can do in a case like this is to get some more quotes to see if the price is to high.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

I'll do it for 20k
Ninjaframer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjaframer For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (10-21-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
DIY staff

"How Much Will It Cost?" Asking For Price Estimates Here. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Sounds very cheap to me----but I'm from Illinois----call another drywall company for a quote and compare the two----
Old 10-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
NO one here is going to be quoting prices.
Yes, I've noticed that about rock hangers, it's a big secret. God forbid we give a general estimate on price per square foot or sheet. There are sooooo many variables. We all know there are some factors that can effect the price, but how hard is it to come up with a ballpark to help those going in blind? It's kind of like mattress prices, did you ever try to compare? Don't, because every retailer carries different styles of the same brand so as to prevent it. Keep the consumer in the dark, that's the American way! And anyone on here that does estimates should be able to come within 20% of what a job would cost per square foot or per sheet. Certain to encourage DIY'rs, thanks
podunkom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to podunkom For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (10-21-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunkom View Post
Yes, I've noticed that about rock hangers, it's a big secret. God forbid we give a general estimate on price per square foot or sheet. There are sooooo many variables. We all know there are some factors that can effect the price, but how hard is it to come up with a ballpark to help those going in blind? It's kind of like mattress prices, did you ever try to compare? Don't, because every retailer carries different styles of the same brand so as to prevent it. Keep the consumer in the dark, that's the American way! And anyone on here that does estimates should be able to come within 20% of what a job would cost per square foot or per sheet. Certain to encourage DIY'rs, thanks
podunkom,

welcome to the forum! hope you'll feel free to always jump in an provide useful information to DIYers that come here for help .....

with that said this is a DIYer site ..... this is a forum for those wanting to know how to do a project around their home themselves, not a place for someone to come and check out the pricing of contractors.

the cost for a DIYer should only be the cost of materials, which they can find out by going to a big box store or local lumber yard.

with you being new to the site may be you should take a moment and review this "sticky note." "How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

looking forward to your future posts and involvement in the forums!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

Realize that GB, but thanks for the reply. I was simply pointing out/commenting what many of us who became DIY'rs likely have dealt with when asking questions about price. And what was showing through loud and clear through statements above...

Peace.

Last edited by podunkom; 10-20-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
bbo

I'm heavy int DIY and i know you can't expect a forum to tell you if a price is high or low. I do some PM for wireless installs and have done this across the US and Canada and can tell you it is very localized on pricing for electrical projects. The best you can do is get as many quotes as you can and compare the $$ along with the work actually spec'd. Make sure you understand what needs to be done and it is all written in the quote. There are no magic/secret formulas contractors use to bid jobs. it varies from company to comany based on their materials, overhead and profit. and it varies depending on when you get the quotes as well.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #10

A square foot price does not work. even for the same guy in the same town from one job to another.
Depends on # of corners, angles, level of finish, vaulted ceiling and height, belly band in the middle or single joint, how good or bad of a job was done on installation, ripped paper and corners, Is the flooring in, drywall jamb returns, screws properly sunk, oversunk, undersunk, big or small job, factors limiting access to site, and how much I want the job.

No way you can work that all in to a per square foot price.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
A square foot price does not work. even for the same guy in the same town from one job to another.
Depends on # of corners, angles, level of finish, vaulted ceiling and height, belly band in the middle or single joint, how good or bad of a job was done on installation, ripped paper and corners, Is the flooring in, drywall jamb returns, screws properly sunk, oversunk, undersunk, big or small job, factors limiting access to site, and how much I want the job.

No way you can work that all in to a per square foot price.

All that + about a hundred other factors
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
All that + about a hundred other factors
I rest my case
Old 10-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
automated tool pro

how much is a persons labor worth?
ask your contractor how many men he will be using and how many "days" it will take.
drywall labor is between $25--$35 hourly nation wide.
drywallfinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #14

UHHHHH - so ALL drywall labour is 25 - 35 per hour? That is including overhead?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #15

My drywall sub bids it by the foot the price per foot just changes with difficulty.

Ninjaframer is offline   Reply With Quote