DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Drywall & Plaster (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/)
-   -   Preparing drywall mud, all purpose green bucket (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/preparing-drywall-mud-all-purpose-green-bucket-181414/)

Arsinek 06-06-2013 07:24 PM

Preparing drywall mud, all purpose green bucket
 
Ok, so I bought some Sheetrock All Purpose mud in the green lid container. How do I go about preparing it? Some of yall mentioned mixing water into it.

joecaption 06-06-2013 07:50 PM

Just use it out of the bucket for the first and second coats.
On the last coat you may need to add a tiny amount of water.
Going to need a paddle and a Heavy duty 1/2 drill.

Arsinek 06-06-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1196577)
Just use it out of the bucket for the first and second coats.
On the last coat you may need to add a tiny amount of water.
Going to need a paddle and a Heavy duty 1/2 drill.


I already have one of these...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_176765-51872...xer&facetInfo=


Would that be enough?

oh'mike 06-06-2013 08:09 PM

This is what I do---thin what is needed for the tape---for the first coat after the tape, I like it as is,after mixing----then like Joe mentioned top coat thinned a bit---

I never use green for the top coat---I'm lazy and prefer blue lid for the top coat--it's much easier to sand.

framer52 06-06-2013 08:43 PM

i use 20 minute for all coats. you guys are just not working fast enough!

Willie T 06-06-2013 08:56 PM

For a beginner, please don't let yourself be sucked into the trap of using any quick mud at all.

You are not racing the clock for a paycheck. And you need time to think about your next steps, and the freedom to be a little relaxed in what you are doing.

Nailbags 06-07-2013 12:27 AM

I always thin my mud out about pint or half pint of clean water. Mix good and take your time.

ToolSeeker 06-07-2013 07:38 AM

I also agree with mixing water for several reasons, ease of application, helps wet the tape (reducing bubbles) and when you pull it the excess comes out from under the tape a lot easier. That mixer you have is about the worst as it is really a paint mixer. This is what you should have gotten http://www.lowes.com/pd_245395-51834...ductId=3054665 maybe take the other one back. Even if you decide not to add water you need to mix the mud before you use it.

Arsinek 06-07-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1196815)
I also agree with mixing water for several reasons, ease of application, helps wet the tape (reducing bubbles) and when you pull it the excess comes out from under the tape a lot easier. That mixer you have is about the worst as it is really a paint mixer. This is what you should have gotten http://www.lowes.com/pd_245395-51834...ductId=3054665 maybe take the other one back. Even if you decide not to add water you need to mix the mud before you use it.


Ive had that one for years, bought it to mix paint. lol. But figured if I could get away with using for mixing joint compound why not.

So youre saying put water in the whole bucket? Or put some mud in a mud pan and mix some water in that?

ToolSeeker 06-07-2013 06:53 PM

If you are not using additives put water in the whole bucket. If you are going to use additives such as Mud Max just mix it in what you can use. The additives make the mud hard to sand, so if you mix the whole bucket your final coat will be hard to sand.

Nailbags 06-07-2013 07:21 PM

Yeah when I use mud max I just use one box of mud just for that for the taping and setting beads after that I toss the mud and use the all purpose mud and I always mix in a min half pint of water. See how it works and add more as I need to no more then a pint.

jeffnc 06-07-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by framer52 (Post 1196632)
i use 20 minute for all coats. you guys are just not working fast enough!

Bush league. I use all 5 minute....

jeffnc 06-07-2013 07:33 PM

You can also take some of the compound out and put it in another bucket, and mix it by hand with this
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._DRYWAL_01.JPG

It's easy for smaller batches. Mixing is more important than water - it's surprising how creamy it gets even without water. Water can also help, and is almost mandatory for warm weather taping, especially with a fan going. You might need to add a bit of water every hour.

Arsinek 06-07-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1197165)
If you are not using additives put water in the whole bucket. If you are going to use additives such as Mud Max just mix it in what you can use. The additives make the mud hard to sand, so if you mix the whole bucket your final coat will be hard to sand.


Ok. So a pint to half a pint in the bucket of mud?

And I guess Ill go get that other mixer. Been spending tons of money at Lowes for the past almost 10 years why stop now?!

Nailbags 06-07-2013 07:55 PM

Yes one oz per gallon of mud so in a five gallon bucket there is really about four gallons in there. I start off with a half pint and work up from there no more then a pint of water. The reason to do that is to have the mud as you embed the tape and run your six inch knife over the tape is to get the air out and the extra mud out. Hope that helps and just don't over work the mud or the tape do the tape and corner beads let it sit for twenty four hours after you done. then do your first coat let that dry and go back the next day so forth and so on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved