Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

Share |

Popcorn ceiling made of plaster

I bought a home a couple years ago that was built in 1954. The majority of the walls/ ceilings are still plaster. Unfortunately it still has popcorn ceilings. I made an attempt last summer to remove them and smooth them out. I scraped a little bit off before I got started and took it to get analyzed for asbestos before starting. The results were strange. They told me it was 100% gypsum plaster. I went home and tarped off a section of the living room and soaked the heck out of the ceiling with a hudson sprayer. When I went to start scraping it was all still hard as a rock. Apparently my ceilings were textured using plaster. I've never heard of this and know one I know has either. I decided to try one of the bedrooms because the texture was much softer and came off when I ran my fingers across it. No luck. In the bedroom they had actually used a soft material to texture ON TOP OF the plaster texture!

I'm wondering if anyone has advice as to either how to remove this stuff (keep in mind I took a WOOD FLOOR SCRAPER to this stuff and it barely made a dent) or, cover it up. I've already started covering the section I started on in the living room with 3/8" drywall, but should I just remove the ceiling altogether and start from scratch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

strungoutfan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! I would check the size and span of the ceiling joists before adding more weight if it has plaster and lath.
How thick is the base before the popcorn? Is it sheet lath or wood lath?

I'm moving this to "Drywall" for better response.....

Gary

Old 01-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Drywall and Painting Pro

That older type of popcorn is next to impossible to remove.
We always' skim coat those types of ceilings with all purpose joint compund.

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir MixAlot For This Useful Post:
strungoutfan78 (01-25-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #4

Thanks. I was wondering if that was a valid option. Any particular type of joint compound you recommend? I don't know much about the stuff.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungoutfan78 View Post
Thanks. I was wondering if that was a valid option. Any particular type of joint compound you recommend? I don't know much about the stuff.
Your welcome.
This is the type I use. I'm don't know where your located and if it is available there though.
Attached Thumbnails
Popcorn ceiling made of plaster-179.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #6

Great. Thanks again. I was hoping this could be done as the task of ripping out the plaster and starting from scratch, or even drywalling over the surface just seemed like to much work. This will be a lot simpler. Not to mention cleaner.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #7

I found this at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/SHEETROCK-B...atalogId=10053
Would the lightweight version be OK or should I hunt down the regular stuff. That's all they carry as far as Sheetrock brand.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #8

Quote:
I found this at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/SHEETROCK-B...atalogId=10053
Would the lightweight version be OK or should I hunt down the regular stuff. That's all they carry as far as Sheetrock brand.
Home Depot carries both the blue and green joint compounds in 5 gal plastic containers.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #9

Huh. Strange. That's all they show on the website. I'll go check tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
The light weight is to thin. The all purpose is more dense and would be best for this application.
-Paul