Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Poor Plastering and Pait Color Different

Hi folks, I am an average DIYer and I do some things allot better then other things. I just built a half/knee wall in my home which you can see under another thread a few weeks ago. I've only done minor spackling/plastering in the past so this was my first time adding metal corners to a wall and spackling them. Needless to say I did a pretty poor job on this particular area . Where the new half wall meets my other wall I did a great job there with the tape in the corner but this part I just fell short. From looking at it I think I either added to much spackle or I didn't sand it down/feather it out enough. On top of that the paint where the spackle is looks lighter and a slightly different color then that of the rest of the wall making it stand out even more/worse. I DID PRIME the spackled area before painting along with priming the rest of the wall as well. Maybe I didn't prime enough? Should I have put two coats on heavily spackled area's? (See Pic's)

So my questions are what can I do to make it look a little better? Should I try and add spackle and feather it out more? Should I try and prime the area and re-paint? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it's not gonna look professional it's too late for that but making it look a little better and not stand out so much is what I am after. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Poor Plastering and Pait Color Different-imag1653.jpg   Poor Plastering and Pait Color Different-imag1654.jpg  

cbaur88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Sure hope your just using the wrong terms.
You keep saying plaster and spackle.
Both should not have been used for this job.

Drywall compound is what was suppost to be used.

Hard to say what's going on there, run your hand over that area. Can you feel that it's uneven?
If so is it to high or to low?
That outside corner should have been done on the last coat with a 12" wide knife with really thin coat.
Any flaws should have been seen after the primer, redone sanded then primed again.
Once it's right it takes two coats of finish paint.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sure hope your just using the wrong terms.
You keep saying plaster and spackle.
Both should not have been used for this job.

Drywall compound is what was suppost to be used.

Hard to say what's going on there, run your hand over that area. Can you feel that it's uneven?
If so is it to high or to low?
That outside corner should have been done on the last coat with a 12" wide knife with really thin coat.
Any flaws should have been seen after the primer, redone sanded then primed again.
Once it's right it takes two coats of finish paint.
I am sure I am using the wrong terms. I used Rapid Coat Low Dust Joint Compound. And yes I am sure I didn't use the proper knife size along with many other things I did wrong. What I am after now is making look a little better. So any advice on how to do that after this mess up would be greatly appreciate. However I appreciate the info for next time I tackle a mud job especially on the corner, with a wider knife.
cbaur88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,518

I don't know if I can explain this well enough but here goes. take a good straight edge like a steel rule about 3 feet long or a good yard stick will probably work. Holding it on edge put on your corner, right on the bead then on the wall. If you can see space or light under the ruler, like a valley then that needs filled in. And no 2 coats of primer is not usually an answer, but if you have what can it hurt. And as stated for corner bead you really need a 12" drywall knife. Hope this makes sense.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote