Poor Finishing Job - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Poor finishing job

I redid the drywall in my bathroom and my corners and seams are not the best. I already painted but now they are starting to bug me.

What is the best way to get this finished better?

If I get a contractor can he just compound and retape over the existing paint on the corners/celing?

Or will he want to start over? Anyone run into this problem?

Advertisement

dude19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
PHB Construction LLC

Rewards Points: 75

Poor finishing job

It depends on how bad it is. I've seen the total do-overs and the not so bad and float it correctly. Drywall finishing is a SKILLED trade and takes a long time and practice to get it right the first time. Yes you can get it right after hours of sanding but why? I'm not against DYI, but when it comes to drywall finishing it's worth it to hire a finisher. When a good finisher is done your walls are like glass and the corners are true 90's.

Advertisement

Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Poor finishing job

Best way to get it finished? Hire a pro, but you are going to miss out on all the fun.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
sanding expert

Rewards Points: 10

Poor finishing job

I have fixed plenty of bad corners. you can do this with a 6" mudding knife pretty easy, some experience really helps or you will be doing some sanding. My suggestion, go buy a 6" knife some light weight joint compound, put it on in layers, put mud on the corner where it is uneven, stick the knife in corner and drag mud out from corner whiping clean everytime, another words mud will only fill in gaps, build up until concave and convex areas are level. Hard to explain in words, just get knife and $10.00 drywall repair book at home depot and go to it. or pay a drywaller 50.00 and hr. I suggest you learn it then you know it for any future jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude19 View Post
I redid the drywall in my bathroom and my corners and seams are not the best. I already painted but now they are starting to bug me.

What is the best way to get this finished better?

If I get a contractor can he just compound and retape over the existing paint on the corners/celing?

Or will he want to start over? Anyone run into this problem?
finishsander is offline   Reply With Quote