Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #1

Share |

Plastering over old plaster

Hello,
I am remodeling a bathroom in a 1910 New York apartment building. I have removed the wall tiles and tile adhesive back to the original plaster. This plaster substrate is brick and in places there are remnants of sound original paint. The wall has a 3/8" step at about 5' above the floor. I would like to achieve two things- bring out the upper portion of the wall and skim over the entire wall to create flat walls for the new tile. I am thinking of doing this by 1) applying plaster-weld to all surfaces 2) applying fiberglass mesh to all surfaces 3) applying 3/8" scratch coat to the upper part of the wall to bring it flush with the lower part 4) applying 1/8" to 3/8" skim coat to the entire walls to make it flat. My questions are- A) is the fiberglass mesh a good idea? B) what kind of plaster should I use? I was originally thinking of using Structolite for both coats (surface doesn't need to be smooth as I will be applying floor to ceiling tile) but I'm worried that this might not bond to the existing plaster especially if I use the fiberglass mesh. Would another product such as Durabond achieve a better bond?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer advice.
Ben
Attached Images

Bhfs100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
durabond, old plaster, plastering, structolite