Plaster Walls With A New Drywall Ceiling - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plaster walls with a new drywall ceiling

the plaster ceiling is already gone but the walls are intact. In order to get a gap at the top of the wall for the ceiling drywall to slide into is a problem. I am having a contractor do the ceiling and he has requested that this be done. There is a wire mesh under the plaster that goes all the way to the ceiling. The question is: what is the best way to cut out 3/4 of an inch of wall with that wire there. Or is there a better way to do it?

My idea was to just cut a 3" strip off at the top of the wall and replace it with drywall, but he doesn't like that idea.

Advertisement

Johnstrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

It would be better is there was a gap but I see no reason why anyone should go through all the extra work of going back and doing it now.
Just install the sheetrock as tight as they can to the wall and use hot mud to fill the gaps.

You would have to snap lines and use an ossilating saw to make some smooth cuts.

A 2" wide piece of rock is going to flex inless you added backers between every stud bay, a royal pain.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

They just want that so they don't have to nail off that edge of the ceiling sheetrock.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote