Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philly
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Plaster textured Ceiling


I am contemplating finishing my basement myself and I have a question about my textured Plaster ceiling. I want this to be smooth since the textured look is outdated. Should I attempt to skim coat it, install a 1/2 drywall on top of it, or just tear it all down and start over. The room is 20x20. Also I will be installing recessed lighting, which I will have to make holes for and run wiring. Thanks for your responses in advance.

philly529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Plaster textured Ceiling


Run the electric first. Make your holes and then cover with 1/4" or 3/8" drywall. Then the lights..

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Plaster textured Ceiling


Unusual to find a plaster ceiling in a basement. Did you mean the ceiling has some sort of plaster like texture on drywall or something?

If that is the case, you might want to take it down. You will have full access to the space for your electrical work, insulation, any plumbing changes you might think of, HVAC and so forth. Put up new drywall when done.

If it is plaster than proceed as Bob suggests.

Don't forget to install a hardwired smoke and carbon monoxide detector as long as you are doing wiring runs anyhow!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philly
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Plaster textured Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Unusual to find a plaster ceiling in a basement. Did you mean the ceiling has some sort of plaster like texture on drywall or something?

If that is the case, you might want to take it down. You will have full access to the space for your electrical work, insulation, any plumbing changes you might think of, HVAC and so forth. Put up new drywall when done.

If it is plaster than proceed as Bob suggests.

Don't forget to install a hardwired smoke and carbon monoxide detector as long as you are doing wiring runs anyhow!
Thanks for the advice, yes it is a plaster like texture on a "drywall" base. The drywall is almost concrete like. I tapped out a small area to see what it was like and it crumbled immediately. I will prob be ripping it out unfortunately it seems like a messy painful job.
philly529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Plaster textured Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by philly529 View Post
Thanks for the advice, yes it is a plaster like texture on a "drywall" base. The drywall is almost concrete like. I tapped out a small area to see what it was like and it crumbled immediately. I will prob be ripping it out unfortunately it seems like a messy painful job.
Goggles and mask on. Demo has great therapy value. It will be a mess but should not be overly painful. The World will be your oyster with it all out of the way.

Just do what I do and toss the debris into the neighboring yard after midnight by the way. Don't waste money on a dumpster or contractor trash bags.

Last edited by user1007; 01-14-2010 at 08:54 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Plaster textured Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Goggles and mask on. Demo has great therapy value. It will be a mess but should not be overly painful. The World will be your oyster with it all out of the way.

Just do what I do and toss the debris into the neighboring yard after midnight by the way. Don't waste money on a dumpster or contractor trash bags.

Somehow we all believe this is what you would really do
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philly
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Plaster textured Ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Goggles and mask on. Demo has great therapy value. It will be a mess but should not be overly painful. The World will be your oyster with it all out of the way.

Just do what I do and toss the debris into the neighboring yard after midnight by the way. Don't waste money on a dumpster or contractor trash bags.
Haha, I def will not be doing that.

I do have one more question. In my basement I have a glass block "window". The basement is 3/4 below grade and the glass "window" is the portion above grade. It does not let much light as my deck is over that portion of the house and is a real eye sore. Do you think that i could just stud over this and hang drywall?

philly529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venetian Plaster FYI Plaster Ayn Painting 10 06-30-2010 11:26 PM
How to remove plaster bathrom ceiling. scotty8 Building & Construction 2 10-25-2009 12:35 PM
Is my contractor suggesting the correct way of redoing plaster ceiling? karenldee Building & Construction 7 10-23-2009 10:47 PM
peeling paint on old plaster ceiling zymurgea Painting 7 09-12-2009 04:42 AM
Plaster Ceiling and drywall dprasan Remodeling 6 02-05-2008 11:34 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.