Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plaster textured Ceiling

I am contemplating finishing my basement myself and I have a question about my textured Plaster ceiling. I want this to be smooth since the textured look is outdated. Should I attempt to skim coat it, install a 1/2 drywall on top of it, or just tear it all down and start over. The room is 20x20. Also I will be installing recessed lighting, which I will have to make holes for and run wiring. Thanks for your responses in advance.

philly529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Plaster textured Ceiling

Run the electric first. Make your holes and then cover with 1/4" or 3/8" drywall. Then the lights..

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Plaster textured Ceiling

Unusual to find a plaster ceiling in a basement. Did you mean the ceiling has some sort of plaster like texture on drywall or something?

If that is the case, you might want to take it down. You will have full access to the space for your electrical work, insulation, any plumbing changes you might think of, HVAC and so forth. Put up new drywall when done.

If it is plaster than proceed as Bob suggests.

Don't forget to install a hardwired smoke and carbon monoxide detector as long as you are doing wiring runs anyhow!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #4

Plaster textured Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Unusual to find a plaster ceiling in a basement. Did you mean the ceiling has some sort of plaster like texture on drywall or something?

If that is the case, you might want to take it down. You will have full access to the space for your electrical work, insulation, any plumbing changes you might think of, HVAC and so forth. Put up new drywall when done.

If it is plaster than proceed as Bob suggests.

Don't forget to install a hardwired smoke and carbon monoxide detector as long as you are doing wiring runs anyhow!
Thanks for the advice, yes it is a plaster like texture on a "drywall" base. The drywall is almost concrete like. I tapped out a small area to see what it was like and it crumbled immediately. I will prob be ripping it out unfortunately it seems like a messy painful job.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Plaster textured Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly529 View Post
Thanks for the advice, yes it is a plaster like texture on a "drywall" base. The drywall is almost concrete like. I tapped out a small area to see what it was like and it crumbled immediately. I will prob be ripping it out unfortunately it seems like a messy painful job.
Goggles and mask on. Demo has great therapy value. It will be a mess but should not be overly painful. The World will be your oyster with it all out of the way.

Just do what I do and toss the debris into the neighboring yard after midnight by the way. Don't waste money on a dumpster or contractor trash bags.

Last edited by user1007; 01-14-2010 at 08:54 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Plaster textured Ceiling

Quote:
Goggles and mask on. Demo has great therapy value. It will be a mess but should not be overly painful. The World will be your oyster with it all out of the way.

Just do what I do and toss the debris into the neighboring yard after midnight by the way. Don't waste money on a dumpster or contractor trash bags.

Somehow we all believe this is what you would really do
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #7

Plaster textured Ceiling

Quote:

Haha, I def will not be doing that.

I do have one more question. In my basement I have a glass block "window". The basement is 3/4 below grade and the glass "window" is the portion above grade. It does not let much light as my deck is over that portion of the house and is a real eye sore. Do you think that i could just stud over this and hang drywall?