Plaster Skim Coat Over Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Plaster Skim Coat over Drywall

Please forgive me if this topic has been addressed before.

I am adding a wall in an older house. I plan to use 5/8 inch US Gypsum drywall with a skim coat of plaster over the top. One of the guys who wants to do the plastering says I should hang the drywall backwards. He says adhesion to the rougher paper on the back side is better for the skim coat of plaster and that this is perfectly legal. I have never heard of this before.

Any comments?

Advertisement

Perry401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry401 View Post
Please forgive me if this topic has been addressed before.

I am adding a wall in an older house. I plan to use 5/8 inch US Gypsum drywall with a skim coat of plaster over the top. One of the guys who wants to do the plastering says I should hang the drywall backwards. He says adhesion to the rougher paper on the back side is better for the skim coat of plaster and that this is perfectly legal. I have never heard of this before.

Any comments?
Um you should be using plaster board the blue sheets not drywall. If you use plaster board you use plaster for the skim coat. Drywall you use dry wall compound for the skim coat.

Advertisement

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

I'm still trying to figure out why you would not to skim coat it in the first place.
A whole lot more work.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,674

As stated blue board is for plaster. Have never heard turning the drywall around will make a difference it sure won't hurt anything. I have finished some that was put up backwards by mistake. If it makes him feel better why not.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote