Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #1

Share |

Plaster over Concrete Sheet Wall?

Really appreciate the information I've found on a bunch of these threads here. Hope you don't mind a question from me.

I'm working on the bathroom. House was built in 1958 and the bathroom still has its original (pink!) tile running 49 1/2 inches up the walls (measured from the floor including 1 1/2 inch trim/transition tiles). Above the tile, the concrete boards were plastered and painted.

The tiles behind the vanity fell off as soon as we removed the vanity. Anyway -- I want the pink out of there, but the tiles appear to have been mounted directly onto the concrete sheets that make up the wall (there was no plaster spread over these walls unlike all the others in the house). The tiles come off easily (even those *not* behind the vanity) and the mastic comes off pretty readily also (definitely more easily than the plastic tile glue I had floor-to-ceiling in the kitchen), although as you can see in the photo below, it's looking like I'll have some concrete divots.

Once I get the tiles (and mastic) off these walls, can I reasonably plaster over the concrete? Ideally, I'd like the walls to be painted floor-to-ceiling (except around the tub). If that's not possible, I'm guessing it's reasonable to put new tile on the concrete walls up to that 4-foot mark?

Photos below.

Many thanks in advance!

bkd

bk412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #2

Plaster over Concrete Sheet Wall?

Yeah, all right, so I've now realized I'm just gonna be replacing that cement board with drywall. There's no way I'll get the mastic off the concrete and I can't imagine mud over mastic-covered concrete is going to look like not crap, let alone be easier than installing drywall.

Re-lurking,

bkd
bk412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cement board, tile, tile removal