Plaster To Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plaster to drywall

We just relocated a door in our kitchen. The former door spot is now drywall that butts up to plaster. Problem is, the drywall is a tad...thicker? (sticks out further) than the plaster.

I know dh should have used 1/4 in. But he didn't listen, so now what? Any reasonable ways to deal with this?

Advertisement

toyarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plaster to drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyarmy View Post
We just relocated a door in our kitchen. The former door spot is now drywall that butts up to plaster. Problem is, the drywall is a tad...thicker? (sticks out further) than the plaster.

I know dh should have used 1/4 in. But he didn't listen, so now what? Any reasonable ways to deal with this?
Depends on several things. How big is the drywalled spot? How proud is the drywall (how far does it stick out from the plaster)? How long is the wall? We need some more details and how about some pics.

- If you've got a small enough thickness differential and enough wall space, you could tape the joint and feather the bejezus out of it.

- You could slap some 1/4 drywall up on the plastered portion. Again, dependent on how proud the new drywall is.

I'm guessing (unless dh drywalled the entire room) it will be easier to take the drywall down and do it correctly - either use thinner drywall or cut back your framing sufficiently to match.

Keep us updated.

Advertisement