Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plaster celling with radiant heat that got wet.

I have a house that was built in 1973 and has radiant celling heat. We had a bad storm and a tree fell against the house and some on the roof. Two branches about 2 inches in diameter went through the roof and I did not now this for about 3 days and it was raining on and off. there was water dripping out of the light fixture. I removed all the wet insulation. The celling looks like drywall on top and then it must have the radiant heat wire and then plaster over that (or under). I have a fan blowing on it in the attic. There are some water stains showing on the celling but there are no spots that look like it is coming apart or separating. will this dry out or should I replace the celling and replace the heating system as I don't think that you can do the celling heat anymore???? maybe I am wrong here. Please advise, Thanks Mike

Last edited by mgamby; 03-18-2011 at 11:30 PM.
mgamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
Masters in Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamby View Post
I have a house that was built in 1973 and has radiant celling heat. We had a bad storm and a tree fell against the house and some on the roof. Two branches about 2 inches in diameter went through the roof and I did not now this for about 3 days and it was raining on and off. there was water dripping out of the light fixture. I removed all the wet insulation. The celling looks like drywall on top and then it must have the radiant heat wire and then plaster over that (or under). I have a fan blowing on it in the attic. There are some water stains showing on the celling but there are no spots that look like it is coming apart or separating. will this dry out or should I replace the celling and replace the heating system as I don't think that you can do the celling heat anymore???? maybe I am wrong here. Please advise, Thanks Mike
If nothing is seperating then chances are you will be fine. After the leak is fixed and the ceiling is dry simply reprime your ceiling with Bin stain blocker. I would say Kilz but I had trouble with Kilz stopping water stains from bleeding through....Bin is a far better product...a bit more expensive but well worth the small cost difference.

As far as the heating system...that I will leave for someone else to take on...

Last edited by MnDrywallRanger; 03-19-2011 at 04:14 AM.
MnDrywallRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

Thanks Mn for the reply, Is there any other oppinions out there???
mgamby is offline   Reply With Quote